Question about TIG Rod

I have a project for aluminum rod. Tig rod is cheap and available.

I see that 5183 has higher shear strengths than 4043. is 5183 stiffer than 4043? If a bird sat on the end of a 24" piece which material would deflect more? Ya, I'm building a TV antenna. Thanks, Guys, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I have a project for aluminum rod. Tig rod is cheap and available.

I see that 5183 has higher shear strengths than 4043. is 5183 stiffer than 4043? If a bird sat on the end of a 24" piece which material would deflect more? Ya, I'm building a TV antenna. Thanks, Guys, Mikek ==================================

I couldn't find Young's Modulus for either 4043 or 5183, but this site,

gives data for 1100, 2024, 6061, 7075, and 356, and all are between 10 and 10.5 x

10^6 psi. I bet that 5183 and 4043 fall in this range, too. That means that all have the same stiffness to +/- 2.5% so your bird will never know the difference :-).
Reply to
Carl Ijames

All aluminum alloys have virtually the same stiffness but not the same yield point. This means that the TIG rods will all deflect the same amount until the yield point of the particular rod is exceeded. So it depends on the weight of the bird and not the rod. I dunno about 5183 but I do know that 5386 has a higher yield point than 4043. Eric

Reply to
etpm