R: welding thin cast iron

I did the exact same repair years ago before I knew better. I only had a little

100v MIG and after a coincidental preheat, welded it by stitching it across the back after aligning and clamping the front. The end result looked like it had been sutured on the back, each bead was about 1" long and they were about 1/2" apart. I used ER70S6 wire and 75/25 gas. 15 years later it's still holding...I never knew about peening or insulation or anything, just dumb luck.

Ben

Reply to
Bernard Carter