repairing old gear tooth

I'm repairing an old tractor drawn grader (nice 100 year old piece of
equipment which is still usable) and a couple of the large gear assemblies
have broken teeth. These are rack and pinion style gears which move the
blade up and down via a hand turned wheel. The gear teeth are about 1/2"
thick, 1" in length and stand about 3/4" tall. I have a Miller 180 MIG
welder and an old stick welder and I am still a beginner. What I'd like to
do is build up the gear tooth and then grind it down to size. Would
multiple passes with the MIG unit be OK, or is the standard wire too soft?
I have some sticks for cast iron welding with a high nickel content and I
thought about using them, or 7013 sticks, or ?????? Any ideas about best
way to build it up?
Thanks for being such a great group !
John
Reply to
Doctor John
The pinion gear repair would be relatively easy since it is a smaller item. I would use a nickle based rod simply because you don't know the alloy. Preheat and post heat. cool in still air or better yet buried in some vermiculite. I have done a pinion for a turntable gear on a large back hoe. it was crude but worked until they got a new part. You can use a copper bar as a backup to reduce the amount of grinding and shaping you will have to do. If you have access to a machine shop you could build up with brazing then using a shaper or milling machine cut a new tooth. Randy
Reply to
Randy Zimmerman
Piece of cake - they're only adjustment gears, they're not driving all day.
Reply to
Andy Dingley