repairing gear teeth

Hey folks - sorry to be a pest, but I'm about to start on this project and could use some guidance - here's the re-post:

I'm repairing an old tractor drawn grader (nice 100 year old piece of equipment which is still usable) and a couple of the large gear assemblies have broken teeth. These are rack and pinion style gears which move the blade up and down via a hand turned wheel. The gear teeth are about 1/2" thick, 1" in length and stand about 3/4" tall. I have a Miller 185 MIG welder and an old high-amp stick welder. What I'd like to do is build up the gear tooth and then grind it down to size. Would multiple passes with the MIG unit be OK, or is the standard wire too soft? Would sticks for cast iron welding (with a high nickel content), or 7013 sticks, or ?????? work better. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks for being such a great group !

John

Reply to
Doctor John

First, you want to determine what you are welding. Spark test. Probably mallable iron or primative steel casting. Try preheating to about 400F and mig welding short stringer beads, peen while cooling and be patient. Allow to cool enough to bear you hand on it. Repeat until desired profile is reached. Hope this helps enough to get you started.

Reply to
John D

if it is cast iron , you may want to see about brazing it up we repair a lot of old gears at work and have been pretty successful with brazing the teeth up

you have to be careful on large spoke centered gears the local ized heat tries to crack the spokes

Reply to
williamhenry