A bad day

Wednesday of this week I did a bad thing. Using a 60-ton hydraulic pressbrake I successfully removed the tips of

2 fingers on my right hand.

The cause was purely operator error and I did it to myself.

I am in a lot of pain now, but the percocets help a bit.

I won¹t be typing much for a while so don¹t take offense if I don¹t respond to emails or usenet discussions.

The actual damage was the removal of about 1 inch from both my pointer and middle finger. I kept the knuckle on both. Hopefully I will be recovered in time to teach this fall.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

That is terrible news. I wish you well and hope you recover soon.

Reply to
AL

I cringe to think that our intelligent, thoughtful, generous, patient Ernie is in pain. What a nightmare.

Best wishes for a fast recovery, mate.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

:-o

That really sucks.

Surgeons couldn't reattach them? Enough left, or not worth it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. Damn that must hurt.

Hopefuly you are left handed so will not have to be cross trained to pick your nose.

Gunner "At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Ouch...know what your going through and feel.......been there myself. Just think of it as now being able to do things totally different than others ith all digits can. I used to look at the loss of mine as a great drawback, but once I got used to it, I found in some cases I could do some things easier...

And of course you can always count in fractions now instead of whole numbers. Take care .

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Damn! I'm really sorry to hear that. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I once chopped just the little fleshy pad off my pinkie chopping onions (yeah, I removed the meat from the onions and finished). Nowhere near as serious, of course, but I still remember it.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

sorry to hear of your accident Ernie, keep us posted on your recovery. good luck,

walt

Reply to
wallster

I'm really sorry to hear you got hurt. It is a danger of our work that we all hope to avoid. Hope you recover soon.

Steve

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

After taking the tip of my left index finger on a band saw, I am empowered to say that the good news is your encounter will insure that you will never do that again and your newly evolved "Safety Gene" will control the rest of your life.

The fun part is picking your nose in public with the stub...kids love it!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

may you have a quick recovery ,me god bless , we all are hoping you get better soon

maybe a surrogate typist so you can maintain the responses to "which tag welder to buy?"

Reply to
williamhenry

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you get well soon.

Yoshi

Reply to
ZZ212

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Ernie, Very sorry to hear about this. Take care and I hope them fingers heal up real soon. David

Reply to
David Seidel

A bad day indeed. I've been there about 14 years ago. I cut off and mangled three fingers and a thumb on my left hand with a table saw. Surgeons repaired two out of three fingers leaving less than half of my index finger. On the brighter my son think it's perfectly ok to point with your middle finger, "dad does it". Wishing you a speedy recovery..

Reply to
John D

Sorry to hear of your injury. Here's to a speedy recovery.

I have learned a lot from reading your posts.

Reply to
Diesel

OUCH! Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Since you've already answered a ton of questions that keep getting asked again and again I suggest you just concentrate on being able to type

google groups "ernie tig" :-)

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

"Do not pick your nose, you might poke a hole in your brain"

It's embarrassing explaining at first, then it gets boring, then you don't seem to get asked - people either don't notice or don't bother to ask.

Then it starts getting kinda fun, telling people the gory story ... sometimes the extra-gory made-up version ...

If you have the time and patience and pain tolerance and money, it might be worthwhile to get a surgeon who deals with this type of injury to look at the ends. An ER doc may try and save things that would be better removed. I had the top joint of one finger trimmed - there was only a 1/4 inch of the top bit left - and it works a lot better now.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I can bend my middle finger at a right angle, thus making it look like it is a nub. Sometimes it is fun when giving safety speeches and doing tricks for the kids. Sometimes they are amused, and sometimes they just scream and run.

Sorry to hear about your experience, Ernie. I once sawed off two fingernails in a cutoff saw. What I find absolutely incredible is the amount of data that goes through one's mind in the two microseconds following the accident. I also find if amazing that people who are otherwise very safe and safety conscious get bit every once in a while. Working with steel and saws and presses and punches and shears and just metal in general is hazardous even to the safest person.

Shall we come up with a nickname, have a contest, or shall we just let one evolve?

Get well soon.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB