A bad day

Terribly sorry to hear that. I have had a couple of friends who have injured themselves seriously. One was a machinist/gun safety instructor, who shot himself in a hunting accident. Another was a near-genious lab technician who took off two fingers on a jointer. And now you. Being smart and trained does not, in itself, make you safe.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Can't reattach from a crushing injury. Too much damage.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

That's a SERIOUS bummer. Take it easy.

I never did learn to type with all my fingers, so it shouldn't slow you up too much once you get the hang of it. I can chug along at about 25 words a minute.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Tough break, man.

Feel better.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Very sad to hear about your misfortune. FWIW, I had a girlfriend many years ago who had a similar loss on her right hand. She had virtually no long-term disablility from it. In fact, her handwriting was much better than most people I knew.

I checked the header on your message and it looks like you're on a Mac running OS X. Speech recognition is built into OS X, so while you're recovering, you may want to take advantage of it. Here's some info:

All the best, and thanks (from one lurker) for all the valuable time and expertise you've given the group.

- Bruce

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:100920042338032676% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

Reply to
Bruce Spainhower

Ouch! I hope you get back in the shop and the classroom real soon, Ernie. If you see us running too far astray here, hopefully you'll be able to type us a one handed note to keep us from getting too far afield. Take care and heal fast! Marc

Reply to
Bev Fanatic

I was very sorry to hear about that. It must have been one of those damn "brain farts" which diverted your attention at just the wrong moment.

*********

I've been living with the fear of that sort of accident happening to me every time I switch on a power tool. I just try and keep remembering the worker's compensation insurance rep who came through the model shop at the firm I was working for about 40 years ago with a pack of hot dogs in his briefcase.

He assembled us in the shop and then walked us through it while squashing and shattering each of those weiners in punch presses, power shears and milling machines.

Before he was half way through everyone had their fists clenched and their hands behind their backs. It was the most effective safety demo I ever saw.

********

It appears to me that your loss may well interfere with your issuing a proper farewell salutation to your boss when leaving your workplace, or giving an appropriate message to aholes who cut you off in traffic.

If that becomes a problem, you might learn to "show them the fig", a lesser known gesture made by clenching your fist with the tip of the thumb protruding between the first and middle fingers, then pointing your arm at them with the back of the hand horizontal.

Try it in a mirror. If the imagery evades you, then you undoubtedly had a verrrry sheltered youth, in which case I feel even further sympathy for you Ernie.

********

Heal fast Ernie!

Jeff (Who wonders why "showing the fig" was never adopted as a symbol for "pussy power" by the women's lib movement.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Ernie,

ouch.... sorry to hear that, even it is tragic, try to stay positve. My father lost all his fingers on the right hand due to an accident when he worked at a leather proccesing factory. it has changed his life.... but he always told me not to let little thing get to you , stay positive and think of it as a small thing, because it could have been much worst.

wish you a fast and safe recovery.

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Hi Ernie -- really really sorry to hear of that. Hope you get well soon and make a good recovery. -- Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Ernie: Very sorry to hear that! I know how you feel, I got my right hand caught between the floor and the basement trap door and it took off my little finger and severely cut the others to the bone but they were able to reattach my pinkie and it works just fine now....doesn't look pretty but it works. Our thoughts are with you, get well soon!

Mike

Reply to
mike

I guess the first 'safety' lecture of the semester will be more effective for the students from now on.

All the best and heal well.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Ouch! This only proves one thing, that even the most experienced of us are capable of mistakes, not just novices. My prayers and the best of luck to you for a fast healing period and back to productive work.

When you get to feeling like it, I'm sure that everyone would like to hear the full story.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident.

May your recovery be speedy.

You will learn how to hold the TIG torch and use it just like you used to.

Thanks again for all that you have shared and get well soon!

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I'll say. I hope you heal up quickly, Ernie.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Thank you for being brave enough to share it with us too.

I hope the pain fades quickly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Heal well and quickly, Ernie, and thanks for all the good information you post.

Reply to
John Husvar

Ernie, as so many others have said, I am so sorry to hear the news. You will be in my prayers!

Andy Wakefield

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

Ouch! Get well soon Ernie!

That reminds me of the old motorcycling saying, "the price of survival, is eternal vigilance". it applies to metalworking too!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Ernie,

Awful news. We will all learn from this incident. I wish you a fast recovery.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

This hurt just by reading it. Hope you get better.

Reply to
Boris Mohar