Where to start?

Hi!

I'm a programmer/web designer/developer which a great passion for eletric and electronic engineering. I'd like to build a strong foundation on electrical and later on electronic engineering.

Firstly, I would like to clarify some things:

  • What are the differences between electric and electronic engineering?
  • I don't plan to make a career out of it, only have a good understanding so I could go further and develop it as a hobby. What books should I start with? What should I know (Math, Physics, Chemistry)?

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo.

Reply to
FFighter

| * What are the differences between electric and electronic engineering?

The number of amps.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Correlary: size of the wire

Reply to
krw

Amateur radio used to be a great entry into electrical hobbies. The advent of computers, the internet, and cheap long distance communication has tarnished the glamour of ham radio. Nevertheless, The Radio Amateur's Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League is probably still a good introductory book. And yes to (Math, Physics,Chemistry).

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Reply to
FFighter

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:49:21 GMT Salmon Egg wrote: | On 10/9/06 5:39 AM, in article | snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "FFighter" | wrote: | |> Hi! |> |> I'm a programmer/web designer/developer which a great passion for |> eletric and electronic engineering. I'd like to build a strong |> foundation on electrical and later on electronic engineering. |> |> Firstly, I would like to clarify some things: |> |> * What are the differences between electric and electronic engineering? |> * I don't plan to make a career out of it, only have a good |> understanding so I could go further and develop it as a hobby. What |> books should I start with? What should I know (Math, Physics, |> Chemistry)? |> |> Thanks in advance, |> |> Marcelo. |> | Amateur radio used to be a great entry into electrical hobbies. The advent | of computers, the internet, and cheap long distance communication has | tarnished the glamour of ham radio. Nevertheless, The Radio Amateur's | Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League is probably still a | good introductory book. And yes to (Math, Physics,Chemistry).

And cell phones.

I do remember from back in the 1960's my dad's lawyer had a "car radio phone". It operated in the 30-50 Mhz band. It was good for maybe about half of the county. I'm sure the business that provided that is not in that business anymore. The same company also offered the service to passing boats on the river.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

electric engineering is usually called power engineering.

Reply to
electrician

engineering?

Oh yeah? 1200 amps - electrical or electronic engineering? Say, like in an HVDC converter?

There is no difference; everybody in the electrical racket uses the same maths....

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

Reply to