Where to start?

Hi!
I'm a programmer/web designer/developer which a great passion for
eletric and electronic engineering. I'd like to build a strong
foundation on electrical and later on electronic engineering.
Firstly, I would like to clarify some things:
* What are the differences between electric and electronic engineering?
*
I don't plan to make a career out of it, only have a good
understanding so I could go further and develop it as a hobby. What
books should I start with? What should I know (Math, Physics,
Chemistry)?
Thanks in advance,
Marcelo.
Reply to
FFighter
| * What are the differences between electric and electronic engineering?
The number of amps.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam
Correlary: size of the wire
Reply to
krw
On 10/9/06 5:39 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "FFighter" wrote:
Amateur radio used to be a great entry into electrical hobbies. The advent of computers, the internet, and cheap long distance communication has tarnished the glamour of ham radio. Nevertheless, The Radio Amateur's Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League is probably still a good introductory book. And yes to (Math, Physics,Chemistry).
Bill
-- Fermez le Bush
Reply to
Salmon Egg
Thanks for the tip ;)
Salm> On 10/9/06 5:39 AM, in article
Reply to
FFighter
| On 10/9/06 5:39 AM, in article | snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "FFighter" | wrote: | |> Hi! |> |> I'm a programmer/web designer/developer which a great passion for |> eletric and electronic engineering. I'd like to build a strong |> foundation on electrical and later on electronic engineering. |> |> Firstly, I would like to clarify some things: |> |> * What are the differences between electric and electronic engineering? |> * I don't plan to make a career out of it, only have a good |> understanding so I could go further and develop it as a hobby. What |> books should I start with? What should I know (Math, Physics, |> Chemistry)? |> |> Thanks in advance, |> |> Marcelo. |> | Amateur radio used to be a great entry into electrical hobbies. The advent | of computers, the internet, and cheap long distance communication has | tarnished the glamour of ham radio. Nevertheless, The Radio Amateur's | Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League is probably still a | good introductory book. And yes to (Math, Physics,Chemistry).
And cell phones.
I do remember from back in the 1960's my dad's lawyer had a "car radio phone". It operated in the 30-50 Mhz band. It was good for maybe about half of the county. I'm sure the business that provided that is not in that business anymore. The same company also offered the service to passing boats on the river.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam
electric engineering is usually called power engineering.
Reply to
electrician
engineering?
Oh yeah? 1200 amps - electrical or electronic engineering? Say, like in an HVDC converter?
There is no difference; everybody in the electrical racket uses the same maths....
Bill
Reply to
Bill Shymanski
Reply to