Good places to start

What are some good books/web sites that contain allot of information on building robots for beginners. If it helps I'm a programmer and I've messed
around radio circuits so I get the gist of most of this stuff, but I need some guidance on construction itself. Thanks in advance.
Try these:
www.robotics.com www.robotbooks.com www.robotstore.com
Also, on any of these sites, check out the links pages for links to robot clubs. Even if there is no club in your area, many of their websites have a lot of good info - especially Seattle, Portland and Dallas.
john smith wrote:

My book, Robot Builder's Sourcebook, is a compendium of resources for robotics, beginner to advanced. Included are manufacturers that provide technical information, companies that sell products, and individuals and schools that offer building advice. Most are available on the Internet, so you can immediately check out the resource. There's also numerous sidebar articles explaining the most cogest technologies. While the book does not replace Google (in fact, it includes many suggested Google search phrases for finding additional material) it is designed to save you many hours of the grunt work finding these places.
The book is available on Amazon, at B&N, yada yada.
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza
Gordon McComb wrote:

I prefer your other book, _The Robot Builder's Bonanza_, which got me started.
For web sites, try:
http://www.budgetrobotics.com/ http://www.kronosrobotics.com/ http://www.polydroids.com / -- D. Jay Newman http://enerd.ws/robots /
Polydroids.com has a good selection of what one could consider 'starter kits.' Some offer an almost solderless solution.
-Kip

messed