Radio link for small robots. Plz help

Hi ppl,     I am working on a project that involves building multiple small and cheap mobile robots. These robots are semi-autonomous in the sense
that they take instructions from the main computer, while also doing some local processing. I need to get instructions across to the mobile units from the main computer.
    I plan to use a radio link for this. I cannot use an analog, limited-channel radio link, instead I think digital will be better suited to this project.
    I do not want to spend a lot on each robot. So I cannot go in for those fancy radio control sets that are available with toys. Can you guys tell me where I can find a low-cost single chip radio transceiver ic and the circuitry to interface the same with a microcontroller? Has anybody worked on a digital radio controlled robot before? (coz most of the rc robots i've seen use some form of an analog radio link)
thanks a lot in advance ppl, Prashanth Ellina prashan<NOSPAM> snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net
Too bad you can't use analog you could get a cheap set of corless phones w/intercom function and use them as a wireless modem link.
On 10 Jul 2003 18:35:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (prashanth ellina) wrote:

Look at the RWS?TWS or RLX/TLX units at http://www.rentron.com /
Jonathan
www.madlabs.info
prashanth ellina wrote: > Hi ppl, >     I am working on a project that involves building multiple small and > cheap mobile robots. These robots are semi-autonomous in the sense > that they take instructions from the main computer, while also doing > some local processing. I need to get instructions across to the mobile > units from the main computer.
The Tx/Rx units I'm using for my 4th year project fit your description. Check out www.radiometrix.co.uk. Their prices are available on request and are areound the 30 mark. Ish.
Stephen