Re: Looking for a cheap prebuilt AVR programmer.

may help. it is a cost effective programmer and development board.

Reply to
Don McKenzie

panic snipped-for-privacy@gentoo.forceconstant.com> wrote: You could try the Dontronics Raver board. It'll handle a bunch of the chips and is dead simple to use with AVR's. To use other AVR chips, just plug in SIMM cards for them and you're good to go. There aren't any USB solutions yet, I'm not holding my breath, the PeeCee parallel port was defunct years ago and it's STILL on the darn machines!

DLC

: I am a programmer by trade, and would like to get into robotics, and : would like to start by getting a AVR and programming some lights, and : adding some sensors, etc. I plan to use gcc using C/C++, would like : to program via usb, but parellel is fine. Is a programmer the same as : a development board? It would be nice to be nice not to have to have 2 : boards. Any suggestions would be : appreciated. : Thanks, : P

Reply to
Dennis Clark

I just ordered a AVR Butterfly from Digitech, which says they will be in stock July 13th, which seems to be just what I need. P

Reply to
panic

As a programmer?

panic wrote:

Reply to
NoBodyInParticular

Reply to
panic

The below programmer looks like it might be a reasonable deal.

Si Ballenger

No you can't.

you still need a programmer unless you just plan to use the bootloader.

see the just released user guide

see page 15 In the programming section "In addition to using the pre-programmed bootloader with AVR Studio, the ATmega169 on the AVR Butterfly can be programmed using SPI, High-voltage Parallel Programming and the JTAG interface.

To program the ATmega169 using ISP Programming mode, connect a 6-wire cable between the ISP6PIN connector on the STK500 board and J403 the ISP connector on the AVR Butterfly as shown in Figure 3-2. This device can be programmed using the Serial Programming mode in the AVR Studio4 STK500 software. Instead of soldering in a ISP-header, one can make contact just by pressing the header to the footprint. Make sure that pin 1 on the STK500 match with pin 1 on the AVR Butterfly. See Figure 3-3 for the pinout of the ISP Connector.

NB Do not use the AVRISP for In-System Programming, unless if the kit is powered from an external power source.

It is possible to program the ATmega169 through the High-voltage Parallel Programming interface. However this requires to move two resistors on the PCB. High-voltage Parallel Programming is only meant to be used in the worst case scenario, where both SPI and the JTAG interface are disabled."

and

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Thats not a programmer but a development board. Has a builtin isp programmer.

acessories
The futurlec boards are quite good. Just make sure to install the parallel port driver if using windows xp.

Recommend to get the atmega board or 8535 as the newer atmegas can be used instead of the supplied chip

for both the atmega and at90s8535 boards can drop in atmega8535 or atmega16 or atmega32

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

But he can still connect the ISP header of the Butterfly to his PC parallel port and program it with AVRDUDE or other software. An STK500, while nice, is not required.

Cheers,

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean

Don't think so, not unless the person has a STK200/STK300 style parallel dongle. The Butterfly by itself does not ISP circuitry! It only has a bootload mode

Reply to
Richard F. Man

It does for sure. I have my Butterfly here in front of me and it has the

6 pin ISP header, which brings out MISO, MOSI, SCK, /RESET, and GND. All he has to do is make a cable and connect those lines to the parallel port, load up AVRDUDE (or other programming software), and he can download programs to it, set fuse bits, etc, etc. In this case, the PC is the programmer.

BTW, I believe the STK200 and STK300 dongles, while they plug into the PC parallel port, use serial ISP to program the chip.

JTAG is also available on the Butterfly, but that does require a seperate programmer. It's well worth the $300, though, IMO.

Cheers,

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean

Should be finally getting the butterflies I ordered tomorrow from the local distributor. Got one from the seminar.

No word when digikey will be shipping.

Don't know about using non-stk500 isp. Just have to make sure you have a power source other than the battery.

The full user guide is up on atmel now.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

OK Neat. Well, it's true that the STK200/300 dongle is nothing more than a buffer or something like that so may be you can skip that totally. I am weak on HW :-)...

I believe you're referring to the serial vs. parallel mode of programming. Yes, you are right.

Reply to
Richard F. Man