avr help

hai guys i really flushed out in searching for a avr programmer.though i got some , like pony prog winavr etc iam unable to program my avr ic
atmega8515.iam using XP in my system.i like any of you to help me sort in this regard. i want a clear steps for programing my avr ic atmega8515 using any simple software, which should work on XP.i really need this waiting for ur replys
thank u
kumaresh
step 1: buy ATAVRISP2 programmer (the USB version) - it is cheap enough step 2: stand back and watch it doing the job step 3: get on with project instead of wasting time fiddling with home made programmers !
dave
kumaresh wrote:

Dave wrote:

something like this perhaps: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 488
--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Don McKenzie wrote:

Looks like a good choice, but that restriction to 5V could become an embarassment - everything I do these days is 3.3V or less ...
I guess the basic point to be made is that spending a certain amount on good tools will get you further, faster. It can be very frustrating when you get a fault and haven't a clue what is causing it. If I'm about to work with a new processor or FPGA I buy somebodies simple dev board first - gives me a 'working reference' to compare my efforts with.
have fun
Dave
Dave wrote:

OK, then something like this perhaps: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 498
Don...
--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Hi,
Your using a parallel port programmer? If your PC is a portable then pickup or build an STK200/300 compatible programmer. On most portables the voltages on the port are too low to program an AVR without using a buffer chip.
You also need administrator rights under XP to allow you to install & configure the I/O driver used to talk to the parallel port.
Regards Ian Dobson
Home of the Atmel based UDP mobile web cam http://www.planet-ian.com All mails scanned with av-filter.pl (F-Prot / perl)