classification of the robots.

Hi, I was doing a project in robotics and had to write some introduction for robotics. While writing the different types of robots as Industrial robots and Autonomous mobile robot. I was reading about the humanoid robots and could not figure out if I should classify them as a seperate class or just as a part of autonomous mobile robots????? Arent the humanoids a part of the autonomous mobile robots?

-Priti

Reply to
amr

humanoids are research into locomotion, copying anatomy with steel. articulation of 1 or more joints. balance. Most of the work is being done in software, how to control 2 legs, balance, move forward, turn, etc.

autonomous robots are research into navigation, sensors, data fusion, how to represent problem in software?

Industrial robots are working examples of the above two areas. They copy anatomy (robot arms), and figured out how to sense, represent the problem in software, and how to articulate the limbs. This is the only area where commercial units are in place and have been for 20 + years.

home appliance robots are appliances mounted on robot bases. The only ones I've seen have preprogrammed (by user) path to follow.

autonomous vehicular robots are motor vehicles with on board computers. they can navigate the vehicle over rough terrain.

Reply to
aiiadict

Don't forget to add androids and gynoids.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Are you writing about real robots or fictional robots?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thank you for your inputs. That clarifies a lot of confusion that I had. Basically I thot industrial robots and mobile robots can be the classification: as industrial robots are fixed at the base like pick and place while, mobile robots can move around. But, what you wrote makes more sense.

-Priti snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
amr