Java and robots

Hi,

I would like to know more about Java and robotics but forgive me as I am knew to the field. So please excuse me if this email seems a bit crude or evasive.

I would ideally implement a generic interface and build drivers for the major robots brands (if not already existing for Java) so that they could be accessed from Java3D. Especially, I would like to control robots from a Java/Java3D augmented reality multiuser system and therefore would like to know if you could provide me with:

  1. information about any generic package that may exist
  2. links or other good websources about robots in general
  3. a list of well known and used robots (whether Java controlled or not)
  4. a list of specific robots that are controlled with Java

Any help is welcomed.

Thanks.

PS Please appologize any dupplicate post as I seem to have problems sending in the newsgroups with outlook.

Reply to
Silvère Martin-Michiellot

I am currently writing a Java robotics framework. I will try to upload the latest code tonight to my site. I still haven't gotten CVS installed on my laptop so the latest code isn't on SourceForge yet.

The URL is:

Currently I've gotten the base motor, sensor, and behavioral classes done.

The system is tested on a Systronix JStik

stuff of my own design mainly.

I could use some help if you want to join the project.

Good luck with the augmented reality. I'm mainly interested (at the moment) in autonomous robots.

Larry. Systronix is about to release their JCX system, which will control Lego Mindstorms robots with a much more powerful processor.

Just a suggestion, but I would dump outlook as soon as possible. Viruses seem to be optimized for Outlook.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

If you want a program with a similar interface/look try thunderbird from the mozilla project.

also downloadable from
.

Alex

Reply to
""alxx/*nospam*/ "

: I am currently writing a Java robotics framework. I will try to upload : the latest code tonight to my site. I still haven't gotten CVS installed : on my laptop so the latest code isn't on SourceForge yet.

Have you looked at the Rossum project on Sourceforge ? Also a java robotics framework.

Reply to
Christopher X. Candreva

When I looked at it last it seemed to be more of a robot simulator, and I'm not really interested in simulation.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

Same for me.

But is that all the robot interfaces that exist ? I have gathered Mindstorm, Khephera (underway), yours D. Jay Newman but I thought there was may be tens of robots exposing to PC with a C++ driver, having (or waiting to have) a Java driver to control them.

So what are the cool robots ?

Let me all know.

By the way, How did you guess for Outlook ? ;)

Reply to
Silvere Martin-Michiellot

: When I looked at it last it seemed to be more of a robot simulator, and : I'm not really interested in simulation.

It's more than just a simulator -- the idea was to be able to run the same routines on a simulator or a real robot.

Reply to
Christopher X. Candreva

Most robots see to be built around microcontrollers rather than PCs, though that's the direction I'm heading.

Because of my powers of observation, plus this line from your original post. :)

** PS Please appologize any dupplicate post as I seem to have problems sending in the newsgroups with outlook. **

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

Then I'll have to check it out again.

I still like making my own because I wanted to experiment with my own theories.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman