Java and robots

Hi,
I would like to know more about Java and robotics but forgive me as I am knew to the field. So please excuse me if this email seems a bit crude or
evasive.
I would ideally implement a generic interface and build drivers for the major robots brands (if not already existing for Java) so that they could be accessed from Java3D. Especially, I would like to control robots from a Java/Java3D augmented reality multiuser system and therefore would like to know if you could provide me with: 1. information about any generic package that may exist 2. links or other good websources about robots in general 3. a list of well known and used robots (whether Java controlled or not) 4. a list of specific robots that are controlled with Java
Any help is welcomed.
Thanks.
PS Please appologize any dupplicate post as I seem to have problems sending in the newsgroups with outlook.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Silvθre Martin-Michiellot wrote:

I am currently writing a Java robotics framework. I will try to upload the latest code tonight to my site. I still haven't gotten CVS installed on my laptop so the latest code isn't on SourceForge yet.
The URL is: http://enerd.ws/robots/code /
Currently I've gotten the base motor, sensor, and behavioral classes done.
The system is tested on a Systronix JStik (http://www.jstik.com /) running stuff of my own design mainly.
I could use some help if you want to join the project.

Good luck with the augmented reality. I'm mainly interested (at the moment) in autonomous robots.

Larry. Systronix is about to release their JCX system, which will control Lego Mindstorms robots with a much more powerful processor.

Just a suggestion, but I would dump outlook as soon as possible. Viruses seem to be optimized for Outlook. -- D. Jay Newman
Add pictures here
βœ–
D. Jay Newman wrote:

If you want a program with a similar interface/look try thunderbird from the mozilla project.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird /
also downloadable from http://www.mozilla.org/ .
Alex
Add pictures here
βœ–
: I am currently writing a Java robotics framework. I will try to upload : the latest code tonight to my site. I still haven't gotten CVS installed : on my laptop so the latest code isn't on SourceForge yet.
Have you looked at the Rossum project on Sourceforge ? Also a java robotics framework.
Chris Candreva -- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
βœ–
Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

When I looked at it last it seemed to be more of a robot simulator, and I'm not really interested in simulation. -- D. Jay Newman
Add pictures here
βœ–

Same for me.
But is that all the robot interfaces that exist ? I have gathered Mindstorm, Khephera (underway), yours D. Jay Newman but I thought there was may be tens of robots exposing to PC with a C++ driver, having (or waiting to have) a Java driver to control them.
So what are the cool robots ?
Let me all know.
By the way, How did you guess for Outlook ? ;)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Silvere Martin-Michiellot wrote:

Most robots see to be built around microcontrollers rather than PCs, though that's the direction I'm heading.

Because of my powers of observation, plus this line from your original post. :)
** PS Please appologize any dupplicate post as I seem to have problems sending in the newsgroups with outlook. ** -- D. Jay Newman
Add pictures here
βœ–
: When I looked at it last it seemed to be more of a robot simulator, and : I'm not really interested in simulation.
It's more than just a simulator -- the idea was to be able to run the same routines on a simulator or a real robot.
Chris Candreva -- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
βœ–
Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

Then I'll have to check it out again.
I still like making my own because I wanted to experiment with my own theories. -- D. Jay Newman
Add pictures here
βœ–