What is Electrical Engineering???????????

Ok i'm a university student in civil engineering. But i kinda have the feeling i've made the wrong choice and not doing what i really want.
The problem is though that i dont know anything about it. And i'm not just talking about salaries i'm talking about things like IS IT INTRESTING? . I am a sucker for comic's also so that's another reason. I dont know what do u guys think?
what are you interested in? I didn't have a comics class when I was taking EE so I don't know if you will get what you want. at my school (USC) the top of the heap (in 1982) was a tie between Aerospace/Electrical/Biomedical. Next came Mechanical. There was a cyclical nature to Chemical and Petroleum. The lower echelon was composed of Civil and Industrial.
We used to say that Electrical/Aerospace Engineers made weapons systems; Civil Engineers made targets.

Most of engineering in the US is under the thumb of a nasty corporate scene, political, back stabbing...human resources driving rates down, out sourcing...and people forced almost to defend their own errors or loose their jobs..
nasty. I dont recommend it as a carreer...I spend decades in the business all across the US and some foreign situation.. thats the predominant situation, virtually no exceptions.. unless your soul is already dead... then you might not notice.
If you are good at the sciences I would recommend the research levels.
Phil Scott

okay what do i mean by comics. I dont know if u guys are familiar with iron man. Im not that very font of the character rather than his suit itself. And when i read about this imaginery construct with all the technological superiority to be a rival even to the hulk i said hey its not that bizzare and out of this world and that was the start. A little childish i know but everything starts from somewhere.
That's why i'm thinking either Electrical or Mechanical or even both to do some robotics
So do you have any rudimentary mechanical and/or electrical skills? Did you join the robotics club in high school? Take apart (and perhaps reassemble) any of your father's favorite machinary? Work on hot rods? How are your math skills. The math in ME and EE is a lot tougher than CE. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to grok your motivation, young Anthony Stark.

Thanks man. My math is pretty good and if im interested in what they get even better. As for robotics club my school desny have stuff like that. You see i come from Greece where stuff like that doesnt exist. Now im taking courses in Canada and i have all these options and i want to make the right one. Becauce as you propably know there is nothing worse than waking up and going to a job that you hate.It kills you.
Look into electromechanics, it might just be your thing.
Patrick
Ray wrote:

Research??? If you want to move to India or China maybe.
Hell, by the end of the decade, most of our research will be done in Asia--and the korporate mind set insists on continuing on this path. I guess they must feel quite secure and justified in their reasoning. Once, we retire it will be quite interesting to see what kind of rabbit korporate amerika will pull out of its hat. Even more so the case with the DoD.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:02:34 -0800, Igor The Terrible wrote:

Bullshit. The same garbage was spewing out of CBS news when the "ARABS" were taking over, then the "JAPs", and every other chicken-little scenereo. If you're to dumb to get a job, simply live on whatever welfare you can squeeze out of the working man and STFU.
--
Keith

Hey cluless and out of touch...
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/columnists/kevin_g_hall/13351603.htm
http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/outsourcing/story/0,10801,90599,00.html
http://us.rediff.com/money/2003/feb/15spec4.htm
Need more??? Quit spreading your rightwing shit-for-brains disinformation or lies or whatever you want to call it. The trends speak for themselves.
...and BTW, that is "too" not "to" as you have written in your idiotic post. Learn how to write!
AND........I have a job, that you very much.
Keith wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 05:46:16 -0800, Igor The Terrible wrote:

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/columnists/kevin_g_hall/13351603.htm
http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/outsourcing/story/0,10801,90599,00.html
Nope, no need to listen to the leftist freak shows.

I like to call it the "truth", something you leftists wouldn't know anything about.

Quit listening to Air America and get a job.

Ah, so you do have some skills. I wonder what a spell-checker and netkop pays?

Stop whining then. ...and stop top-posting, moron!
--
Keith

Keith wrote:

Well, it's quite obvious you are dumber than I gave you credit for...that said and being republican is certainly no way to go through life.

TRUTH.......? ROTFLMFAO!!!!! You SFB rightwing inbreeds wouldn't know the meaning of truth even if it bitch slapped the dogshit out of you and bit you on the ass. Hmm...no credible sources to back up your claims? Oh....that's right you right wings don't need that. After all, if your fearless leader conned this country into going to war with facts and intelligence that was thinner than piss on a rock, why would any of his groupies even bother?

Hmm... I see reading isn't one of your stronger qualities either; but then, that's synonymous with morons. You know...kinda like your brain dead poster boy Sean Insanity.

Talk about whining...would you like a little cheese to go with yours? ...and do something with your short term memory. If you merely acquire the skills of chewing bubble gum and crossing the street at the same time, who knows they might have you running a cash register before you know it. Oh...BTW, that is what the wheel between your two buttons is for. It doesn't take much hand to eye coordination to use it effectively......you can do it!!
Igor
GOP = IOU ...andf a defaulted one at that.

what does this have anthing to do with the topic?
Absolutely nothing. See my original post. The bottom line of it was...if you pursue engineering, do so with caution. It is not the profession it once was.
Ray wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:01:34 -0800, Ray wrote:

Actually, contrary to what the idiot "Igor" says, it has a lot to do with the subject. There are tons of jobs out there for the capable. There aren't any for the incompetent, nor should there be. There is no reason to tell people that engineering is a stupid profession to enter because the some "darkie" or "chink" is stealing all the jobs from the anointed "white" engineer. It may be a difficult profession, but it does pay if the investment is right.
The OP asked about the profession. "Igor" simply is a bitter, racist nitwit, and not helping the OP at all.
--
Keith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_engineering
Electrical engineering is the study of electricity and electromagnetic phenomena.
I'm currently studying electrical engineering, I would definitely say that it's interesting. But that depends on the person... Some people will like electrical, others not.
It's very challenging, and it's generally regarded as one of the "hardest" engineering areas. You have to be good at math and you have to be able to visualize abstract concepts. If you like to suffer and pull out your hair, then you'll like electrical... Everyone I know in my program has a secret hate for civil and industrial engineers because we have to study so much harder :-P
Topics in electrical engineering include: Electronics, telecommunications, computer hardware, electromagnetics, power, etc. We even cover a good deal of computer software topics. I know a lot of electrical engineers who ended up as programmers. Go figure.
Electrical Engineers are on the higher end of the pay spectrum, at least in my neck of the woods. Next are mechanical. There is a pretty big gap between Electrical and Civil.
What's a comic?
Hope that helps.
Patrick
Ray wrote:

Also thanks Pat. You see i dont really care about difficulty becauce if you are fascinated of what you do then hell it means something and that is what keeps you going no matter what.
By the way im just a kid doesnt mean that im apsolutely right.
what are comics????????? ok here check it for yourself: www.marvel.com
> what are comics????????? ok here check it for yourself: www.marvel.com
Haha! That's what I thought... But I didn't know if comic was some shorthand for some technology I never heard of... :-P
Comics are usually exaggerations of what is possible. But it's always good to dream.
If you want to learn about some of the "cooler" things in electrical engineering, do a quick google search for Nicola Tesla. He is often regarded as the father of modern electrical engineering. If you want to really have some fun, see if you can get someone to help you build a Tesla Coil.
Those things are wild!
Another good place to learn about the cool stuff in electrical engineering is IEEE Spectrum magazine. Your school's library should have a couple issues kicking around, if not a huge pile of them.
Take care, Patrick
Ray wrote:

thanks for the pointers i could really use the information
Patrick wrote:

Be careful. We used to think Dick Tracy's wrist radio/video "watch" was an "exaggerations of what is possible." But now we have those things!!