ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING GRAD SCHOOLS

I am a college student majoring in electrical engineering. I attend the Univesity of Nevada-Las Vegas. I would like to know what are some good
schools in the United States to pursue a graduate degree in electrical engineering. I am currently considering University of Washington, University of California-Los Angelas, and the University of Arizona.
in article 9bG1e.23513$v26.9121@fed1read06, Corey C. Carter at TRIPLE_C snipped-for-privacy@COX.NET wrote on 3/27/05 2:09 PM:

UCLA in general seems to be theoretical as opposed to hands on. Usually they select good people for their graduate program, and good people, can ultimately become good engineers. My son, who graduated from UCLA, but not as an engineer, commented that as soon as a course turns out to be truly practical useful, it gets dropped.
I had a UCLA grad work for me for a short period. He was very sharp but did not know what typical resistors looked like or what the color code describing them was.
So, if can learn your practical stuff by being an equipment oriented radio amateur (not likely these days) UCLA could end up being a good choice.
Thank you for you input. What schools would you recommend?
Why do you want a graduate degree?

I want a graduate degree because I feel the more I know the more I can contribute to the world of not only electrical engineering, but the world as a whole. There is a world of knowledge out there and I am out to aquire it.
Not to belabor the point, but do you want to do research, design, or perhaps make money? What if any experience did you gain while in undergraduate training? What area of graduate studies do you want to apply yourself? There are many fine institituions out there and without a little insight into what you really intend to do, none of us can contribute any info of value. If you merely want a mostrous challenge why don't you apply to MIT or Caltech?

That is really what I am looking for. I am looking for a challenge. I would like to be on the design side of things. One of my goals, as with many other people's, is to find a 100% completely renewable energy source.
That is certainly a good goal! Have you worked in the energy industry or taken courses in power systems? I ask because this might give you some insight into where the field is today as you proceed to where you want to go. Be careful to not put too much effort into a specific design field as it will likely go through a complete upheaval within a 10 year period. Systems Engineering is very powerful but does not necessarily get into the details of a design. You might also need to extend into a great deal of Mechanical Eng to cover renwable energy adequately.
FWIW I am working in aerospace with a BSEE and a certificate in Astronautical Eng. I have found there to be much that is accesible in my industry without requiring a graduate degree and I am still learning new things every day.

challenge. I

goals, as with

energy source.
For that get an advanced degree in physics... electrical engineering is limited in regard to the broader aspects of renewable energy. My view is that nuclear is workable now, and fusion will be ideal later when we get it working. (my initials are scatched into the stainless cryoframe of the fusion energy experiment at LLNL...1989)
Solar is too difuse to be economically collectable to levels needed in industry..for a home its semi viable with wind assist..and city power for back up...for industry solar is not even a faint drop in the bucket.
Its the diffusion issues that preclude most renewable sources ultimately, we call it low grade heat in the mech engineering bidness... recovery is a problem.
To accomplish your cultural goals physics is the route, with your electrical background you will have very good mix of insights.
Phil Scott

Phil ! you tagged the nuclear plant you old bandit you };-)
[your other post] it's messy and frustrating cause you can only fix so much, Right ?
oy

attend the

are some good

electrical
Washington,
Arizona.
UCLA will probably be the best for your resume.. Arizona the best for parties, and Washington the best for fishing and general ambiance.
Then my advice...avoid the engineering business like the plague.. its a den of snakes in many aspects.. and you are competing now with Russians and Indians who worj fir 20 bucks a day. SF city cops are earning 100 to 120 k a year, many electrical engineers are working for 80k.. after taxes thats less than bus fare.
Get an advanced degree and go into the highest level of research that turns you on...then start your own high end company.
my two bits of advice at least.
Phil Scott, age 64 worked in 35 states.. its messy.