Cable joining procedure

Hi,

I am a post graduate student of Msc electrical power engineering with business from the University of strathclyde.Now I am working in a project Partial discharge detection in cables.

I wish to know how a 11 KV cable is joined.Please give me the procedure for this.I wish to know this for 33 Kv also.Similarly how an underground cable is connected to power transformer.I am in a critical situation.Please help

Reply to
pfaisalbe

Take a look around your campus. You will possibly spot a large building full of books. This is called a "library". Go inside, and see if a book covers cable jointing - something like "American Electrician's Handbook" or possibly "Underground Transmission Reference Book". I realize consulting something so old-fashioned as a "book" is hideously dated in this Internet age. Possibly someone at your local electrical utility has hands-on experience with joining cables - perhaps you could speak with them. This is more of a Ph. D. level research technique, of course - but you'd be suprised at how well it works at the Master's level.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

Large chocolate block.

Reply to
colinstone

Perhaps you missed the voltages mentioned. Chocolate boxes don't come large enough for that - the largest I know is the "Sorry I missed your birthday, our anniversary *and* pranged your car" box..

However, small chocolate blocks may provide a solution. Each one is typically rated for 250v. So a chain of 44 (11kV) or 132 (33kV) of them should work nicely. One way of never forgetting anniversaries ever again.. ;)

However, surely for 11kV/33kV overhead - all you need is a pair of binoculars and to go look? Similarly for underground cables terminating at a transformer - Here, I just need to wander to a nearby field and look, as the transformer is stuck at the top of a couple of wooden poles.

My local electrical distribution company is very friendly and approachable. I'm sure if I phoned them, they would tell me where such jointing is going on at this very moment and happily let me go there and watch the process, first hand. Most professionals in such jobs seem gobsmacked that anyone is interested and welcome a bit of interest..

Worth a try?

Reply to
Palindrome

The book you mentioned was so nice and helpful.I am really thankful for that

Reply to
pfaisalbe