SW Post Crash Procedure

Hi.

A while ago someone posted a post-crash procedure (I'm pretty sure it was here), but I can't find it now.

I know to delete everything in the SWbackup directory, but there were a few other recommended things to do after a SW crash. I think it was a few other places to delete files.

Anywho, I'm writing a little batch file to automate the file cleanup, and I'd like to add those directories/operations to my batch file.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? And more importantly, anybody got that procedure?

thx, ND

Reply to
Navy Diver

I haven't had a SWks crash cause SWks to noticeably change after a restart, but if it did I'ld look to clean things up one way or another.

SolidWorks themselves has an overview, that may help some:

& I believe it mentions using REM SysClean.bat V1.0 & REM Uninstall_Clean_Sw V1.0 when I last looked.

I know there are more intense listings about what to do to maintain a "clean system", and one is/was XPTC.pdf by Koroush Ghazi @ about 2 megs when I downloaded it earlier this year.

Bo

Reply to
BoC

I don't know about the specific procedure you refer to; however, the only files I've ever cleaned up after a crash are SolidWorks journals (swxJRNL.swj) and the open file placeholders (~$file_name). (In a PDM file environment the cleanup could be far more extensive and/or complex. Even without PDM, if the SolidWorks session had files open from across a network, the directories involved could be harder to identify than if the user was working only with files on a local PC.

Cleaning out the logged in user's TEMP directory is a good idea. The "auto recover" sub-directories are included there.

There are times when a crash may leave a "ghost" image of SolidWorks which (without a reboot) could require termination via the Windows Task Manager.

In certain cases, deleting the user's Registry Key for SolidWorks settings (and allowing it to be recreated in default form) may be beneficial in correcting program faults.

To allow for restoration, the Key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks) should be backed up prior to deletion and ANY registry modification should be made ONLY by one who is experienced in doing so.

After the default entries are recreated by a launch of SolidWorks, there may be many custom settings in need of tailoring to match the user's preferences, so the original Registry Key should be maintained, if possible.

Per O. Hoel ______________

Navy Diver wrote:

Reply to
POH

First, I don't see any reason to delete the contents of the Backup directory, or any directory for that matter, with the exception of the ~ temp files that get written any time you have an open document in SolidWorks. Typically, when you cleanly open and close a file, the ~ file gets deleted automatically. However, if you have an abnormal termination of the program, these ~ files do not get removed. You can certainly remove them manually, although they really don't hurt anything.

I'm not sure what other directories this user is suggesting you delete files from. The only other comment I might make here is that he might be alluding to the SolidWorks temp files that get created in the c:/documents and settings//local settings/temp directory. It's safe to clean out all the "swx" files that you find here, although this procedure is unrelated to any kind of "post-crash" procedure. This is simply good housekeeping.

Reply to
Navy Diver

Step 1: When you pick a function (could be any), and the hourglass stays on for longer than expected, start to break into cold sweat and wonder when you did your last save....

Step 2: Start mumbling "oh shit-oh shit-oh shit..." over and over again until hourglass disappears. If it does, breathe big sigh and immediately press the save button and say you'll never go that long again without saving (until it happens again, then repeat steps 1 & 2) If the hourglass remains, go to step 3...

Step 3: When screen goes blank and message box with red "X" that states that SWx unexpectedly quit and that you should call your reseller appears, shout expletives. Choices on such expletives are optional but are usually ethnic or area in nature, eg: (Nu Yawk, Bah-ston, etc...)

Step 4: Get coffee.

Step 5: Restart Swx and bitch for a minimum of 10 minutes or until you get back to the point you were at when it crashed and begin to feel better.

The above procedures are of course, only a recommendation but seem to get followed by a lot of users I know....

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Ahhhh, finally a realistic, true-life answer. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

My god.

Did someone hide a webcam above my workstation?

Tho "Gorram solidworks" is my new favorite expression.

-john

Reply to
John J