Assembly Tree - Expand and Collapse randomly - has a mind of it's own

Is it me or just my video card?

Every (nearly every) time I reposition a component in the assembly tree. The tree inexplicably expands and shifts (display) position. I have to go hunting for the last position I was working at. As Well, all (or most) the subassemblies I had neatly collapsed are now expanded. Hunting for my last position in the tree is very time wasting and it accumulates alarmingly.

Is this a normal behaviour for this tool (Solidworks)? What is the purpose of this action? Can it be stopped (remedied)?

But then, It could be just me. I may not be normal and such a confusing environment is an acceptable norm to the rest of the world.

brian

Reply to
BWelch

That's "normal" behavior, in my own experience. Frustrating!! But not one of more major beefs I have with the software. I've learned it's less likely if (when collapsing the tree) you manually collapse the Mates in all the components that are shown with Mates listed. But it's quirky even then.

'Sporky'

" snipped-for-privacy@carrollhealthcare.com" wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Go to the SWX Discussion forum

is a big thread there titled "Badly-behaved Feature Manager tree?" The thread was started by a SW person who looks like he has been assigned the task of fixing it. You cannot miss it, It's the longest thread in the User Interface Group !!

Reply to
Neville Williams

Sporkman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootDOT.com:

Sporky

You are the voice of wisdom. Aha! you may be right. The tree does behave better when mates, and sub components are collapsed prior to any maintenance to the tree. I thought I had a sense about that but never put it together.

I just tried it out and that seems to be a factor.

  1. - I collapsed all the first level components (leaving some of the second and third level components expanded), tried a rebuild and the tree expanded. Collapsed the tree and then repositioned a component and the tree expanded.
  2. - I collapsed all items of each component of each subassembly and repeated the experiment. The tree remained stable.
  3. - I expanded some of the mates and sub-components in one subassembly and repeated. This time the tree remained stable. It would seem that the tree is trainable. (artificial inteligence???)

Anyway that's probably why I didn't notice a real pattern before. the darn thing is unpredictable.

Thanks for the feed back.

brian

Reply to
BWelch

Found it. (it is a big one.)

I have my doubts about them fixing it though. (Just my jaded opinion) An issue like that is a no-brainer and any code writer worth their salt would never release a package which behaves randomly of it's own accord. Let alone a package which is widely used and hevealy depended upon.

My guess is that someone on the team coded the behaviour in as debugging aid and forgot to disable it. (Bet-ya that person has moved on, heh heh) and now they have a task of unraveling it.

brian

"Neville Williams" wrote in news:dn8ei5$6j6$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz:

Reply to
BWelch

" snipped-for-privacy@carrollhealthcare.com" wrote in news:Xns972623EFD4BCBWelchcarrollhealthc@216.196.97.131:

Hey they fixed it. Just read through the rest of the thread. SWX Discussion forum

Interface Group

From Mark Gibson - Oct 7 thread "Yes, the "sub-item expanded" case was one of the first things we found and fixed, and probably accounted for a lot of the "random" expansion. I noticed it for components, folders, and a variety of other items."

brian

Reply to
BWelch

swx has seemingly always liked to have maximum motion on their screens, even though this is a major hit to productivity. the more things dance around the screen, the better they like it.

bill

Reply to
rider89