Computer engineering vs electrical engineering

I'm planning on going to Purdue University. For a while now, I've been going back and forth between EE and CmpE. From what I can tell, Purdue's requirements are pretty close for both, but CmpE seems to throw more software stuff at the student instead of hardcore electronics. I would like to be able to work on both electronic/ hardware development and software engineering. That seems to fit CmpE, but I've heard (albeit from unreliable sources) that it can be difficult to find employers wanting CmpE, though, from what I've seen most businesses want BSEE or equivalent. My alternative is to get a BSEE with a minor in CS. Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.

Lee M Ward

Reply to
leeward1982

You don't need to declare your major as an entering freshman, do you? Get settled at school, talk to your peers, professors, and upperclassmen. By the end of your first year, you ought to have a better idea of the path ahead. I don't think you would do wrong by choosing either discipline. And it's never too late to change course: one of my classmates completed a BSEE, continued for a PhD with focus in bioengineering... and later went back to school for his MD! My college days (including grad school) were happy, busy, frustrating, rewarding times. My career included teaching, gas laser research, and software development. It all started with a BSEE. Hope you enjoy school and find it a worthwhile experience.

Reply to
Roby

On 28 Mar 2007 14:16:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Electrical engineering is a far more comprehensive scientific and physical discipline, and carries many cs coursework in it.

Computer Engineering is a much more narrowed, field specific endeavor.

Both would be great, one after the other! :-] ;-]

Reply to
MassiveProng