What is Electrical Engineering???????????

I think I am a rare person because I knew at a very early age what I was going to *be when I grew up*. When I was 10 years old, I had a soldering iron in my hand and was building electronic projects from magazines and books. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also had an affinity for math, so it was just a matter-of-fact that I would become a degreed electrical engineer.
After 25 years of practice, I am starting to get *burned out*, but that will probably happen to most people no matter what career they choose.
Keep in mind there are many areas of study within the banner called, *electrical engineering*. You mentioned one area -- robotics, which is a subset of electromechanical engineering. You may have to find another school that specializes in that field of engineering.
Other areas of specialty include: power, electronic design, instrumentation & telemetry, signal processing, integrated circuit design, and others.
Good luck, Tom
Thanks Tom but what do you mean burned out?
tired of the same ole same ole....we get that way when we get old.

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com says...

Not so rare. Added to all that, my father was an EE professor, though he specialized in power/motors/transformers (gack ;).

30+ here, but similar. There are areas I still find extremely exciting, unfortunately that's not what I'm doing. Soon, maybe.

Many specialties. Pick one you're good at and are interested in (often the same). Change is good too.

Many others.
--
Keith

hey i thank all of you becauce its a really big step for me. My father is in civil engineering and as u can assume he's i am where i am. Ad i do wanna do something of my one and im kinda scared becauce once i choose this i am leaving my father's wing and walkig my own path. But hey! It's time to grow up right? And i plan to do that real soon.

That's a youngish, but mature, philosophy; hang onto it and let it evolve! I know where-of you speak.
Best!
Pop
civil combined with architecture is a winning combo (although architecture can be a grind in itself!).

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:36:47 -0800, Ray wrote:

I'd hang up your language (whatever it is) now and use English from now on though. Employers don't bother trying to decode textmessagese on resumes.
--
Keith

Civil's do a bit of electrics but not, as far as I know, as a matter of course, it seems something they have to learn for themselves. They tend to build power stations. Plus the maths they are taught is multi-disciplinary in so far as they learn the techniques in math which are applied to circuit design, although they are not <always> told those equatoins apply to cicuitry.
Your father should know something of electrical engineering.
Electrical Engineering is the application of the principles of physics, mathematics and the properties of materials in order to anticipate the exact moment at which smoke will come out of some device.
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:23:13 -0800, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

s/the exact moment at which/whether ...ideally ;-)
--
Keith

Keith wrote:

this is a quite profound description of what an engineer does. we test the limits of possibility and we advise those who ask us how to achieve their dreams. what we do not do is resort to childish profanities in an attempt to sway the opinions of others when reason and fact are not enough. once one resorts to this all credibility is lost.
it is very difficult for an engineer in India on the phone to tell the operator of a sophisticated manufacturing process when it is about to start to smoke. there will always be a need for real engineers who can work with entrepreneurs to achieve their dreams, and technology has made more of those dreams realizable every day.
-bob
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:02:06 +0000, bob mcree wrote:

This is certainly true professionally, but this *is* the Usenet. ;-)

Yes, and it's equally true that it's hard to manage a development project in 24 time zones. Note that Intel recently cashed in their Indian processor development project. We've had "issues" with Indian's as well (primarily once someone was trained, they were gone). The bottom line is that there is no shortage of jobs here in the US for those with the skills (public schools are more to blame than the "global economy"). A sheep's skin is no guarantee of the good-life and no one is guaranteed *any* job.
--
Keith

bob mcree wrote:

The primary problem with outsourcing is when you rely upon the engineering skills of a culture whose technology emits smoke under normal operating conditions.