building heavy storage shelf..advice

My shop is overflowing with stuff ( like many of you..) while I have

12 foot ceiling, I thought I would build a storage shelf strong enough to hold my four wheeler, and other toys, expected total weight to be 3,000 lbs. I would like to make the unit five feet high, six feet wide and ten feet long. I do intend to store other items under the shelf. I could use some advice on post and framing sizing. I thought I would us 4x4 by 1/8 square tubing for the legs and angle iron or I-beams for the sides, then, of course, cross bracing at all corners...

Does anyone have any advice on material size I should use. I would rather over build, but I don't want to go overboard on my over building.

Also, looking for ideas on joining the corners. I am thinking of bolting it all together so I can take it apart if need be, or, cutting slots for side rails and dropping them in place.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Reply to
Bruce

Look into pallet racking. Very strong, flexible configurations, easy to break down and move around if need be.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

e.g. - Home Depo, Costo or other large stores that have fork lift storage racks that make rows of material to people on the bottom.

Mart> Look into pallet racking. Very strong, flexible configurations, easy to

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If you already have I-beams, tubes or angle iron, then use the heaviest ones you have.

If you have to buy them, it may be cheaper to buy a ready-made shelf. Search for "pallet rack" on ebay (and sort according to distance). They come up frequently. If you live in the Midwest, have a look at the Gorilla Racks at Menard's. The sell different sized horizontal and vertical pieces (ie. thick gauge welded steel pieces, painted, with lots of holes for adjustment). You pick the ones you want and then fill in the middle pieces with plywood.

Reply to
AL