ss sheet fitup question

I'm working on a motorcycle side cover for a friend. It has a flat front and a top and side which are bent at a right angle to the front. A corner is formed where the top and side meet. There is a gap of .025 to .030 inch along that edge. What is wanted is a weld bead placed to close up the gap. The joint will be ground and polished and will show. It is a non-structural application.

The part is made of .035 inch 304 stainless. I've cut a bunch of coupons from this material and I've been practicing outside corner welds with varying gaps. I've had limited success so far. I'm using a Synchrowave 180 machine set to 30 amps DCEN, 1/16 inch 1.5% lanthanated, gas lens with 7 nozzle, 15 cfh argon, no back purge. The filler rod is .045 inch stainless, don't know what alloy.

What is the best chance of success with so loose a fitup? Would a copper chill block help? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Jeff Nelson

Can you bend a strip of stainless sheet into 1/2" x 1/2" angle-iron shape to slip behind the seam. It will make it much easier to assemble, if you have a backing strip to weld into.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler