ANOTHER small mig question!

I know everyone is pretty tired of answering what small mig welder is the best, so I won't ask. I am going to buy the millermatic 135. I just think it looks sturdier for the couple extra dollars (than the sp135+ or handler 135). I bought a campbell hausfeld flux core (70 amp) and converted it to mig with the kit that they make available. The problem is if I want to weld some 1/8" mild steel, I have to use flux core and go over it a few times. It also sucks on thin sheet metal (20g sheet is like using a clothes iron on a tissue) blows right through. It only has the "hi-Low" switch. Finally, the constantly charged tip (even when the button is not pressed) has blinded me one too many times! After a year of great projects I'm done with this machine. I recently purchased an oxy-acetylene set up and love it for heating things up to bend, brazing, and cutting (you folks talked me out of 10cf acetylene and the 20cf oxy, i went with 40cf acetylene and

80cf oxy with the stipulation that the welding house would upsize me if i need more, 99yr lease). The upgraded mig is the obviuos next purchase (dont even get me started with a 220 model, I'm not going to rewire my place or build a tank, plus the Mrs. wants to slap me already!). One question though, will I need to use flux core wire if I hop on a piece of .062"-.187" mild steel or can I get nice penetration with .025-.035 mig wire? Thanks in advance, walt
Reply to
wallster

You'll have plenty of power to MIG the .062 in a single pass up to about .105 inch. Getting closer to the .187 and you'll either need multiple passes, fluxcore and/or preheat. Forget about the .035 solid wire and stick with .023 to .030 solid. .035 is a good size for fluxcore.

Reply to
Zorro

Good choice. I have one of those for light work.

Also a good choice. Note you can weld with it too, in fact, it'll do any of the material you ask about below (and much more too).

Well, unless you live in a very unusual place, you already have 240 available. The only rewiring you might have to do is add an outlet near where you'll be using the welder. You might even just need to add an extension cord from an existing 240 outlet (should be one for an electric dryer, electric stove, or air conditioner already available in your house).

On material up to about .125, .023 hard wire will do fine (.035 hard wire would be pushing your little machine too hard). I normaly only use .023 hard wire in my Miller 135.

.187 (3/16) steel is asking more from *any* 120 volt MIG than it can do in a single pass. You really do need a 240 volt model (175-

210 amp) to MIG weld pieces beyond 1/8 inch.

But you can MAG weld up to 3/16 material in a single pass with the Miller 135 using .035 flux core. You will bump up against the duty cycle limit if you do a lot of it. For instance, I wouldn't try to weld up a trailer using my Miller 135, but it *could* be done using flux core if you don't have access to a larger machine.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Gary, You really had me thinking about a 175-210a mig, but I'm still sticking with the mm135. I can either o/a weld thicker projects or just go to a friends shop and rent a stick unit. So far I haven't had a need for the larger mig, but damn it, it sure is tempting! (wish i were a Rockefeller, I'd buy one of everything i want!, oh well... back to reality) Thanks for the advise.

Thanks, walt

Reply to
wallster