ss316 filler for ss304

Would like to know if 316L filler should only be used on 316 base metal.I have been using 308L for just about all SS work and the base metal is mostly 304 but also use a lot of surplus SS of unknown grade mostly structural boat fittings. Mostly Tig work but also use LT-1 dual shield mig. Does the 316 filler cause any brittlement of the weld or any other adverse effects.Weld appearance is important.Thanks for any comments Jim

Reply to
Jim Moser

I am not aware of any steel that can't be welded with 316. Although for welding carbon steels successfully, a little extra chrome helps to avoid dilution problems, such as in a 309.

316,309,347,320,321,308 are all basically 304 derivatives with small extra additions for different applications.

The only way you will get any embitterment in a 316 weld is if it gets diluted with carbon steel. This link explains it all:-

Regards

John

Reply to
John Dyson

You would be better off going with 309L Filler. It deals better with odd alloys, and will work for 304 or 316.

If you need the higher alloy content then go with 317L filler.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie, just curious if you see any difference in brightness or ease of polishing these different alloy fillers I havn't noticed any difference between 308 and 316 but I don't have a lot of patience for polishing but like to keep the welds from turning brown after being splashed with salt water all season. And thanks John for that link to that sight that tells all, Quite a bit of info there, Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Moser

They all buff up the same. If exposed to salt spray you may see a small transistion line from one to the other.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler