Welding Stainless- Ernie?

Ernie..I just brought home a dozen or so mostly full 12" spools of various mig wire, a number of them being E308L, E309L, E71T, Weldmark

4043 and so forth.

Ive a 200 amp Dan-mig machine. What is the maximum size I should be able to run of regular wire and stainless? About half of it is .045 dia. I know I cant run the aluminum stuff, without a liner and all that stuff, but.....? I have a nice shiney new tip for the mig gun for .045 with the wire....

My gas will be, for now, C25

There is also a full new 12" spool of .045 E71-T-1 wire. Is this flux core? Its a very dark color. Made by Hobart. Will my machine run this? A quick check on the net shows this as gas shielded flux core....????? Do I use gas with it, even if its flux core?

I weld outdoors and during the windy season..not having to worry about the gas blowing around would be nice.

Ive cultivated a welding machine repair shop owner, and he gave me all the spools of wire he has been saving from machines that are no longer fixable and were trashed..so I got some wire...

Thanks

Gunner "To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

308L is for welding 304 SS. 309L is a great all purpose SS filler for unknown alloys of base metal. It is very versatile.

The most common dual-shield wire is E71T-1, but there are others. Checks yours to see if it has the last digit readable, and check Lincoln's site for cross reference.

Standard aluminum filler wire, but not recommended for a standard push MIG. It is usually only used in push-pull feeders like Cobras. It is a very soft wire and tends to kink and birdnest if used in a push MIG.

5356 works better in push MIGs being a stiffer wire.

Mxx wire size on your machine is 0.052" solid steel, 3/64" (0.047") aluminum, and 0.045" dual-shield or Self-shielded flux-core.

That is dual-shield. It requires a gas shield and is about the best type of filler on the planet for heavy steel assemblies.

You do get smoke from it just like stick welding and self-shielded flux-core.

It runs the same polarity as solid wire, DC Electrode Positive.

Self-shielded flux-core runs DC Electrode Negative

The wire is best stored in a plastic bag with some desicant packs as moisture can kill the wire. The sign that it has moisture is porosity in your welds.

I use 0.035 dual-shield and 0.045 dual-shield all the time in my Betamig 250.

For that you need Self-shielded flux-core, a completely different animal.

The designation for Self-shielded flux-core is usually E70T-1.

To save the dual shield from absorbing moisture and becomming useless, back it in an oven for a few hours at 250 degF, allow to cool and store in a double plastic bag with some uncooked rice..

The aluminum should also be bagged to keep from oxidizing. You can always use the 4043 for TIG welding.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I tried several of the .045s it today..and I suspect my liner is too small as it didnt push through very well. If I kept the lead straight, it would work ok, but the moment I put a curve in it..it would stop feeding. Ill try one of the smooth and shiney stainless wires tommorow. None of the steel wires are copper coated and some exhibit some rust. One spool had about the first 200 feet rusty, which didnt feed worth a damn.

Most of the spools are plastic. I suspect they wouldnt handle the temps very well. A couple are wood and they should heat up ok.

Many thanks for your time and effort in replying. Ill check with DanMig and see if they have a slightly larger liner. This is a fairly old machine and only superficially like the new 200 advertised in their website. As I understand it, and looking at the dual language instructions on the inside of the spool panel..this machine was made in Denmark or Sweden.

Respects and thanks