Stick welding Sheet Metal

Since I have AC only -- how well would it work to use water-dipped

6011 for cutting? Should I use 1/8" rod? 200 amps, or ??
Reply to
Andy Wakefield

I don't think that will work as well. Can't hurt to try it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I works, but you have to gouge the metal when it pools up. You will have to watch the duty cycle because most of the small home units are limited up that high. It is real easy to burn up a bunch of rods in a hurry and over run the duty.

Reply to
Young

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I appreciate the warning about duty cycle ... unfortunately, I've never been quite sure what the duty cycle on my 50 year old monster is. The plate says "Time rating one half hour," which I take to mean that it has a 50% duty cycle at its rated output of 200 amps -- but that duty cycle is apparently calculated over an hour rather than over a 10 minute interval. Or something like that, maybe, possibly ... ??? In any case, I normally never worry about duty cycle; I have never managed to get it even appreciably warm, though normally I'm not using anything above 130 amps. The transformers in this thing are massive, so I'm guessing that it takes a long time for the whole mass to heat up. It has taps (yes, taps -- not switches or a crank or anything so vulgarly modern!) up to 275 amps; I have no idea what the duty cycle up there might be!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Wakefield