Storing aluminum wire (oxidation?)

Basically my understanding of welding aluminum is that it's very important to get the oxidation off before you weld it (diff. melting temperatures etc....)

What about aluminum mig wire? Should it be stored in a way to minimize oxidation? Or is this not an issue?

Thanks, Ethan

Reply to
ethanackerman

I keep all my "spare stock" rods in 4" dia PVC tubes and vacuum seal them with a hand-pump with desiccant packs in the bottom. they cost about $4.00 (7.00 with a gauge) to make but I think you are correct, the elemements of open air can screw with the rods. just a Schrader valve and a screw on cap from Home depot.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

In order to weld aluminum we must remove aluminum oxide layer, tough outer layer formed after machining, casting etc. Oxidation is the result of exposure to moisture in air.

Reply to
John D

It is an issue. In an aluminum yard I worked in the rolls were removed after the last shift on Friday and stored in a heated storage room until Monday. Removing your roll of wire and storing in a sealed pastic bag would be prudent if you are not going to be welding in the next 24 hours. Humidity is the concern. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman