Suggestions for a good welder's handbook

Any suggestions? I need a handbook that contains details for welding most common metals (mild & stainless steel, aluminum, etc). I would like to know proper gases, filler metal, and type of electrode needed for Tig, Mig, and stick. Basically, I want to know everything about welding anything and I want it in a small, handy reference. Well, that's probably a bit of an overstatement, but it sure would be nice! I'm not looking for a welding instructional manual, just a reference. Thanks!

-Jason

Reply to
Jason Pratt

I think Ernie has a CD or DVD coming out soon with all this on it ... isn't that right, Ernie? A PocketPC version would be nice too ...

Reply to
Andrew Hollis Wakefield

It's not small, but Lincoln's Procedure handbook covers all of this. It's a big old book, and only like $20.

Rich Jones

Oh...yeah...any day now. The only way it would happen quickly is if I presell it to finance the production.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I picked up a coil bound vest pocket sized book from Air Liquide titled:

Welding Processes and Filler Metals Data Book

I got it complimentary at a workshop. It's a keeper. I am guessing there is a Miller clone/version .

Lincoln"s Metals and How to Weld Them is around thirty years old but a good reference

Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in article ...

Ernie:

I have been corresponding with a guy named Brad Schepp who works for Sams Publications.

He posted on an automotive group seeking automotive book ideas.

Because of my unique combination of 40 years automotive experience and 30 years of motorsports writing, he wanted me to pitch an automotive book, but the truth is that I am too busy right now.

If you are really interested in writing a book, you might want to touch base with him.

He is looking for a book outline to begin with, then will discuss the possibilities with you.

snipped-for-privacy@samswebsite.com

Being a teacher, you are probably familiar with the Sams publications, but if you are not, you can go on their website to check them out.

Brad may be strictly an automotive acquisitions guy, but I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Thanks Bob. I wrote a book many years ago specifically about welding for theatre, and after 2 years gave up trying to find a publisher.

This time I am more interested in videos than books. Maybe a book to accompany the video.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Or a DVD in the back cover :-) Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pick up both books mentioned.

-Jason

Reply to
Jason Pratt