Welder Choice

Thanks for all the replies regarding wiring an outlet for a welder.

Now I have to choose the welders themselves. I've decided to get both a MIG and a TIG unit so I can do both processes. For the MIG, I've narrowed the choice down to a Miller Millermatic 251 and a Panasonic Gunslinger 261. For TIG, it's down to a Miller Syncrowave 180SD or a 250DX.

Any comments on these choices? As for the TIG, is going with the 250DX overkill for a hobbyist, or will I eventually need the additional power? My applications will be typical hobby stuff.

TIA.

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

All good machines. I wish Panasonic was better at marketing their machines. Very few stores carry display models. They are great machines though.

The real question here is how much aluminum you plan on welding. The 250DX will make 1/4" aluminum much easier.

Also the 250DX has the pulser and sequencer options, which for me are a "must have".

I have had my 250DX for a year and a half and love it dearly.

Keep in mind that a Syncrowave 180, Millermatic 251 and Gunslinger 261 will need a 60 amp, 220v service and the Syncrowave 250DX will need a

90 amp, 220 v service.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Those are all excellent machines with fine reputations. You aren't likely to outgrow them any time soon. I have a 180SD, so I can say first hand that it is a fine machine. The others are quite a bit larger, though. You really need to think about that. They're going to take up considerable space, and they aren't the easiest machines to move around.

You might want to take a look at some of the inverter machines on the market. They generally have better power factors than the transformer machines you are considering, so they don't need quite as heavy supply wiring. They're also much smaller and lighter, so they're much more portable. Inverters suitable for welding aluminum aren't cheap, though.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I think the 180SD might fit my needs as I don't plan on welding much aluminum or thicker steel. How thick can the 180SD go on mild steel in TIG mode?

I plan on mostly building tables, carts, fences, and toys for the kids. I don't have much experience with metalworking, so I don't know how thick the pieces will be for these applications, but I doubt that many hobby applications call for more than 1/4" steel.

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

As thick as you want, as long as you're willing to lay in the passes. But the single pass rule of thumb is 1 amp per 0.001 inch of thickness. So by that rule, you can single pass weld steel up to 0.180 inch.

3/16 inch plate or tube is near the single pass limit. I have done 1/4 inch wall tube single pass with the machine, but I don't really recommend it. Better to do joint prep and take multiple passes on the thicker stuff.

Remember that the machine can also be used as a stick welder, and a darn good one too. I've just completed welding a couple of pieces of

2x4 solid steel bar for my tractor project. *That* required both joint prep and multiple passes.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Ernie,

If I bought the basic 250DX (not the TIGRunner version), how much more would the torch (air cooled to start with so I won't need a water cooler), pedal, etc. be to get started with TIG? Do I have to buy this from Miller, or can I get better and/or less expensive stuff elsewhere?

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

The base machine is $1900, or was last year. It might be $2000 now because of steel and copper price increases.

The pulser is $300 and the Sequencer is $200.

A torch is around $100 for a good one.

The foot pedal is outrageously expensive at $175.

For $40 in parts they are really price gouging on foot pedals.

The simplest foot pedal solution I have seen yet is a Guitar volume control foot pedal. Swap out the potentiometer for a 1000ohm unit and add a return spring. Wire up a 14-pin amphenol connector and away you go for about $40. Or find an old foot pedal from a junk yard and convert it.

I prefer CK torches. They don't sell direct, but most stores can order them.

TEC Torch is OK as well as Weldcraft, Binzel, and WNI.

Weldcraft and WNI are both owned by Miller, and TEC Torch is owned by the guy who founded Weldcraft and sold it to Miller.

Binzel is in Austria. They make all the torches for Lincoln since Weldcraft went to Miller.

CK is a small independant company tnat makes great torches. Their plant is about 10 miles south of my house so I can order a torch in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

If I am really in a hurry I can buy it from the Welding supply store across the street from their plant in Auburn.

If you are planning on welding much aluminum with an air cooled torch invest in a 200 amp air cooled torch. The CK210 Trimline is really nice for this. I have one for my Maxstar 200DX for location work. I also have a CK100 which is a 100 amp air cooled torch for sheet metal, and a CK110 which is a 100 amp air cooled in-line torch for fillet welds on tubing.

I swap the CK100 and CK110 out on the same cable. The CK210 has a much bigger cable to take the heat.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

"Jerry Gardner" wrote

As for the TIG, is going with the 250DX

ALWAYS buy ahead. If you underbuy now, you will be selling, losing money, then buying what you really need.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You might also want to consider the new Lincoln Precision TIG 185. It's very comparable to the Miller 180SD, but also includes built-in pulse, which I don't think the 180SD offers even as an option.

Disclaimer: I don't have, nor have I used the Precision TIG 185. Perhaps someone on this group has and can offer an opinion.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Hmmm. That must have just come out because it's not in my 2004 Lincoln catalog.

I haven't been considering a Lincoln because I've heard that they are not as good as the Miller TIG units. Perhaps this new one is up to snuff with the Millers??

The pulser sounds interesting. How about arc stability in DC and in AC? Build quality?

Reply to
Jerry Gardner