Tangential flow inlet

I am building pilot plant and I need to build a cyclone with a 4" inlet into a 24" vessel. Each time I've done something like this, its been hours of trial and error ( and error and error). I was wondering if there are template that will let me do the layout faster than my tried and true method of cut, fit,cut, fit, swear, throw the #$#@$%% thing in the scrap pile and start over.

Greg Postma

Reply to
Greg Postma

"Greg Postma wrote: (clip) I was wondering if there are template that will let me do the layout faster than my tried and true method (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You're going to get lots of links to computer programs that can do this in your sleep. But, when I was in school, they didn't HAVE computers, and we learned this kind of thing in Mechanical Drawing class. Basically, you lay out a two views: In one view you see the round end of the tangential entry pipe. Lay out equally spaced divisions on its circumference. In another view, you see the round top of the cyclone separator. You draw lines on the outside of your tangent pipe, and see where they intersect the wall of the large cylinder (cyclone). Clear as dust?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Both Leo and Larry are correct but there is one other method. SNIPS, a Sheet Metal workers Magazine has links to a couple of books that have layout techniques for almost any fabrication imaginable. They have the advantage of being able to go in your toolbox or glove box when on-site.

Jerry

Greg Postma wrote:

Reply to
jerry rausch