the perfect weld...

I am welding up bases for sculptures which need to look perfect.

The bases are trunkated pyramids which I assemble from 1/8" steel and weld using my mig welder. Then I grind the weld down to a nice radius, sand the whole thing to a satin finish and off it goes to a museum or such place.

The problem I am experiencing is that after I mig weld the joint and grind the weld down sometimes I find low spots or inclusions, nothing major usually, most flaws of this nature are like pinheads, maybe bigger sometimes.

I have had no luck trying to fill these small imperfections by another pass with the mig gun, usually I make things worse when I try this.

So I fired up the TIG welder but even that is no easy fix. I am not so experienced with this machine (a brand new Lincoln Precision TIG 185) and I wonder if someone here can give me a few hints to avoid inclusions, a certain brittleness of the deposit and quite often a craterlike depression when the weld cools.

I am using 3/32" red marked sharpened tungsten rods, DC- mode with up to 120 amps and an Argon flow of up to 20 cf/h (I increased it a bit after I found a dark smoke deposit on parts of the weld but a slightly higher flow rate did not change that). When I try to fill these depressions or holes I try to use very little pedal.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Uwe

Reply to
Uwe

You can't weld over porosity with steel wire and expect it to go away. Try filling the porosity with some stainless steel filler and your TIG. The Nickel and chrome in the stainless will usually eliminate the porosity. Otherwise grind outr the porosity with the edge of a 1/8" grinding wheel and reweld with the MIG.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

What kind of steel are you welding... most low carbon steels have some spots of higher carbon deposits which can effect your welding. It is just a matter of the quality of the steel you are using. Maybe try using some stainless steel for your sculpture bases....

Reply to
Ken

Sounds like insufficient gas shielding. Check your gas lines and connections for leaks with a little soapy water.

Make sure you are using PURE ARGON.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Richard, I tried those links several times but the page could not be found it says. I would be interested in seeing that.

regards Uwe

Reply to
Uwe

I hadn't thought about a light breeze...

Ernie asked if my gas line leaked, I don't think so but I could suffer from a light breeze, welding under a protected porch off my main shop.

I will try and pay attention to this.

Uwe

Reply to
Uwe