Tig grip?

I've been practiicing with the TIG torch for a short while now. I can make a halfway decent bead though not nearly as pretty as the ones you guys make! I have to admit it is a blast to do! While watching Monster Garage and similar shows, I have noticed that there appears to be several ways to grip the torch. Is there a standard method? I'm asking because I found a few references to a technique called "walking the cup" and I'm having difficulty figuring out how it is done. I understand the pattern of rolling the cup on the material, but I don't see how it works with the grip I'm using.

Reply to
TheAndroid

How you hold the TIG torch is variable and quite personal. I tend to hold it mainly by the backcap, so the main torch body acts like a fountain pen in my hand. However if I am doing high amperage welds then I have to remove my hand further from the vicinity of the arc so I shift to holding the barrel of the handle. The most important part of how you hold the torch is that it be comfortable for you. TIG is best done when both hands are relaxed, so how you hold the torch and how you feed the filler rod are rather important.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

However you need to hold the torch for comfort and to get it to where the weld needs to be is fine. I vary grip a lot when doing fine work or position work (as with stick), sometimes holding the very back of th handle by the cables, other times holding right up by the head, or holding the cap in my palm with the handle up between the thumb and first finger.

Walking the cup is used for groove work, often position work where vision can be awkward (one eye visibility, around corners)