Tigging Tailpipe

--Crimmeny what a pain in the ass! I've suddenly got a *lot* more respect for Jesse James & co. Cranking the power down on the Econotig wasn't the end of it. I wanted to at least have power to get a weld all the way thru, but that stuff's something like .040" on a good day; welding bends is the toughie; they've been thru a bender and the material has stretched on the outer part of the bend, to the point where it's just paper thin. If I could figure out how, I'd put a piece of something inside, to reinforce the weld; oh, well. --Have managed to get things that don't fall apart, but the welds look pretty crappy after all the hole-filling from burn-thrus. --So who's been down this road B4 me? Any tips appreciated...

Reply to
steamer

I haven't done enough to call myself anything near an expert but often you can trick things if you slide the rod in under the arc so that most of the heat is directed at the rod with the seam underneath. Of course they keep bleeping both James and Senior out in their shows so you have to be creative in the verbal department when the inevitable happens. You can also cuss me out if my tip doesn't work.... Even throw a few things in my direction :')) Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I generally stick weld exhaust pipe, it's about the easiest way. If it's something I can get to the bench I'll mig it, otherwise it's stick.

John

Reply to
JohnM