Torch popping

I bought a used Victor. Just got it all going, and it pops every two or three seconds. Doesn't pop when the 02 handle is pushed. Do I need to have this torch and used regulators checked just for safety. I have flashback arrestors at the regulator. Cutting thin stuff with 4 and 15 pounds of gas and 02. Seems to cut fine, just aggravating, and wanted to know if it's anything to be concerned about. A regular pop every two or three seconds. Doesn't blow it out or make the flames jump.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Pops like that can be problems with the tip seating, or it can be the O-rings if it's a handle with a cutting attachment.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks. Will check them. Both tips new, and it does it with both. Will look inside, though, and see if seat has any irregularities.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Turn down the acetylene pressure at the regulator.

Reply to
Ed Mc

Sorry I missed the original post in the sporge attack.

Victor torches are really good torches, but their one weakness is that if you backfire the torch too many times, it will burn out the oxygen valve seat on the blast lever, and this will cause endless popping. It costs about $65 to have it repaired here in Seattle.

At school I have at least one Victor torch, out of 6 we have in use, repaired every month. Students can be a bit hard on equipment.

Victors still have the best valves around, but because they are a "body mixed" torch design you have a tube full of oxygen and fuel gas that can pop back.

Airco style torches, sold by Koike and Concoa, are "tip mixed" torches so there is no tube full of mixed gas. The mixing is done at the head. This makes it impossible to get a backfire into the valve seats.

Uniweld makes a beautiful hybrid torch with an Airco style head and Victor style valves.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler