Trailer and Power Generator

You have a truck..and you ask that?????

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I fill a few 5-gallon cans before hurricane season & treat with Sta-Bil. Store it out in my shed. That gas is to either evacuate, or (if we stay) to use after the hurricane (when gas is scarce).

My car normally gives me almost 30 MPG on the road. In stop & go traffic I am guessing 10 MPG. So an extra tank of gas (4-5 gallon cans in the trailer) should at least get me out of the state

Vaughn

Reply to
vaughn

Certainly. Even small trucks, like mine, drink the stuff. If it's available when the evacuation occurs I wouldn't need to take any. If it's not, I'm not evacuating. Again, how do you store a worthwhile amount of fuel safely?

Reply to
krw

I have MULTIPLE 5gal steel military gas cans that go into the back of the vehicle when I head somewhere that may be short on fuel.

My bugout vehicles have racks for MULTIPLE gas cans. Not the red plastic pieces of crap..but the real deal steel cans.

As I inquired...you have a truck and you cant emplace more than (1) 5 gallon of gas?????

My bugout trailer also has a 25 gallon fuel tank mounted on it with an electric pump and hose that may be connected.

I can (and have) left on a run, with 50 gallons of fuel tucked safely away in combination with the trailer and cans.

Since I also bring a genny, Coleman lanterns and stoves etc etc..having enough fuel to power everything for multiple weeks is rather criticle to me.

Each of my 3 gasoline powered welding machines also have at minimum..(2)

5 gallon steel gas cans (GI) in racks on them as well.

I was just shocked by you loading only 5 gallons of fuel and posting in a fretful fashion.

Btw...there are still zillions of actual GI issue cans floating around. Some in good shape, some not worth using. If you are handy...you can rebuild an old can easily and for very little money.

There are also NATO fuel cans available.

Id suggest settling on one or the other style as parts may not interchange..IE the pouring spouts.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Where do you store them? Remember, the only reason to have gas cans is that gas may not be available when you have to bug out. That means storing them full, and all that goes with it. Were gas available, all you need is money. A

*lot* of that can be stored safely.
Reply to
krw

I store the trailer cans..on the trailer (my property is well fenced and I have dogs) and the loose cans are stored in an outbuilding. Most are kept full, and every couple months, Ill dump 2 cans into the vehicles, schlep them down and refill them, and place them in the B rack. This ensures that none go too stale (I also drop a bit of Stabil in each can when I fill them) and that I have gas on hand.

I learned long ago,...that emergencies of most types..dont give you any warning signs..and some are so sudden..any other sources of gasoline may be destroyed/disrupted at the onset.

I was one of the 9000 victims of the Coalinga Earthquake in 83....and other "fun" stuff. I live in California...

Did I mention that all the gas stations were DOWN for a radius of 10 miles?

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My point was that not everyone has a place to store significant quantities of gas safely. It's not nice stuff to store, in comparison with diesel, for instance.

Again, my point.

I generally keep enough gas in my vehicles to make 10 miles. ;-)

No argument here. Take Slowman, please!

Reply to
krw

So instead of storing 10-20 gallons in steel airtight cans in your garage or outside under cover..you keep a plastic 5 gallon can.

Well..if it works for you..go for it.

So you store 5 gallons instead of a suitable amount.

So what happens if the outage is more than 10 miles?

Btw...there was (1) gas station in that 10 mile range. The next closet one was 32 miles.

Hope you got enough range to make it to your closest functioning gas station when your power is out due to a major distribution outage.

And there arent 100,000 people between it..and you...and the roads are passible.

And you have cash. Because most of the ATM and card readers may be out.

Shrug.

Its your life. Do what you will with it.

As for me...one of my long time hangouts, is misc.survivalism.

Both as a teacher and a student.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

RE/

Based on experience, I wouldn't store even *one* gallon of gasoline in my garage or anywhere else even close to my house.

You have a fire or something and "Boom"....

Also, don't knock plastic: at least it doesn't rust.

Once I found a two-gallon steel can that had rusted out in the bottom and allowed it's entire contents to dribble out onto the floor.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Then you dont store your vehicle in your garage either. Right?

True indeed. And sometimes when you drop one, they dont split open. On the other hand..sometimes they do. And if you leave them out in the sun for any apprciable amount of time..they go white, then get fragile..really fragile. Which I found out about about 15 yrs ago when I had my liquids stocks partially in plastic cans. Fortunately the ones that fell apart held only high sulpher cutting oils. Which while making a hell of a mess..didnt have the capability of exploding into flames.

I once had a VW that had rusted out the floor in the rear passenger compartment.

This was the result of piss poor prior planning by prior possessers

You guys do what you wish. It is after all...YOUR problem to handle as best as you can.

As for me...shrug..Ill simply continue to offer Suggestions, which you are free to take, or not. Your life, not mine.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just a few NOTES here:

  1. Gasoline does NOT cause Rust in Steel Cans. It is the Water than get in the Gas, and then separates out and sinks to the bottom, that causes rust in Steel Cans.

  1. If you SEAL the Steel containers, then no water will get in, and it will NOT cause any rust to form inside the SEALED container.

  2. If you want Gasoline with NO Ethanol in it, go out to your local Airport and buy some 80/87 Low Lead Aviation Gasoline. The FAA does NOT allow ANY ethanol in AVGAS, PERIOD.

  1. If you buy AVGAS, you do NOT need StaBil in it, to keep it from breaking down. If you then store it in any Kind of SEALED Container, it will store for YEARS, with no degradation.

  2. Diesel can be stored for DECADES in SEALED containers with no degradation. Again, it is the water that separates out of the fuel that causes ALL the storage problems with diesel, including any Bug contamination. The bugs live and grow on the fuel/water boundary. No water, No Bugs.
Reply to
Bruce in alaska

There are sealed containers and there are SEALED containers. A high quality steel jerry can tightly closed with a perfect gasket is probably SEALED. The plastic cans you buy at Home Depot are never really sealed. Mine normally leak a bit at the cap, even when tightly closed because there are no gasketed surfaces. I also suspect that they ooze a bit right through the plastic. I know for a FACT that they breath a bit on hot days because I can smell the faint odor of gasoline.

Vaughn

Reply to
vaughn

WTF are you talking about?

I keep a 2gal plastic can for my lawn mower. That's it.

Please show me where I said any such thing!

You don't read very well.

So?

Cash isn't a problem. I generally have enough in my pocket to buy enough gas to get across country a few times.

You clearly missed my point.

...obvious.

Reply to
krw

...and the neighbours on either side too

Gunner

Reply to
Josepi

Indeed. Which is why I spec'd GI Gas cans. Not GI TYPE gas cans.

Ive had GI Type cans and while some are ok..others..primarily Chinese ones...are crap.

The newer NATO cans are pretty good too.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Odd..I believe you mentioned a '5 gallon can"

If thats not true, then you are even dumber than I originally thought.

So my friend..hows the view from up there in the clouds?

From your posts..it would appear that you will simply drive whatever distance it takes to find an open fuel station, whip out cash and fill up. No matter how far, nor no matter how unfriendly the territory between you and it is.

That question speaks volumes. Sadly.

Good on you lad!

We all teach what we can, and learn from others.

Failure to do so makes one a very poor human being and at worst..a statistic.

I prefer not to be a statistic.

Ive mentioned before how I took care of my block when the Coalinga Earthquake leveled most of the town.

One assumes someone on your block will be forced to take care of you.

Shrug

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

True, very true.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Per Gunner Asch:

Correctamundo!

But, in the interest of full disclosure, the vehicle is too big and the garage is too small..... So I never even thought about it.

I would rate an automobile's fuel containment above any gas can - if only because if a car's tank seems less likely to leak.

But now that you've mentioned it, even if my car fit I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about having it sitting below our bedrooms (split-level house).

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Gunner Asch:

You have me convinced: steel over plastic. Never even considered what might happen if the container were to be dropped.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Odd. You must be confusing the thread. Try reading what I said again.

Litterate. Not so in the underworld, apparently.

No answer?

Any evacuation plans I might have don't include Afghanisan, no. Cash buys nice things like gasoline, yes.

If I'm bugging out 22 miles doesn't seem very important, no.

...and a few times that, immediately available were I need to bug out. That is about the extent of my hurricane plans, however.

The one thing that I learned when I had to do disaster recovery plans was to define the scope of the problem. A hurricane is about the extent of the threat I'll deal with (leave). A nuke isn't worth worrying about. I'll let those in NYC worry about that one.

I have the perfect plan for California earthquakes. I promise. I won't be a burden to you.

I doubt it. I'll be bugging out.

Reply to
krw