Miller Bobcat 250

Hi Guys, I have a small seafood business and need to get a generator as a backup in case a hurricane causes a power outage. I was about to buy a Honda EU 6500isa, 6000 watts continuous duty at a price of $3400. Then I thought about a welder / generator as having better resale if I ever decide to sell it. This is a possibility, with the oil coming, we don't know if we'll be in business next year, although it is our plan to do all we can to hang on. We have had the business 11 years and I figured 7 to 10 more before I retired. I don't want to enter a 9.8% job market at 55. Back to the question. I can get a Miller Bobcat 250 shipped to me for the same $3400 and it has

9500 watts continuous power. An additional 58% more. A few minor negatives are, the size, additional noise, fuel efficient, but it is for an emergency and the only use it may get are maintenance hours or worst case a week or two. But I need it as insurance against losing my seafood inventory. Anybody have thoughts about the 250 or other possible units, I do want new, I don't want start with a problem. Looking at Harris Welding supply
Or CyberWeld
Thanks, Mike
Reply to
amdx

Sounds good - If kept outdoors - build a fence around it - to hide it from thiefs - maybe a good tie down if they do and have .

I'd have it in a covered (out of rain but can run outdoors when needed without work. Going to take some work - but it is insurance and you want it there when needed. Might consider electrician doing an underground feed into the business. And have it on a slab. - deep enough to keep from sinking due to vibration.

Building the metal wire (filled with metal slats) fence with (perhaps barbwire) and a gate for a person not a truck... e.g. can't get it out without taking down the screen wire. With slats in it - more noise and trouble/time...

Mart> Hi Guys,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It is a good idea. WHo cares about fuel efficiency for your intended use.

Ignoramus28478

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Fuel efficiency DOES matter. because you don't want to run out of gas before the utility power comes back on.

You should also be aware that a generator must be connected to your building circuits ONLY via a switch that also isolates your setup from the utility lines. Otherwise, it would be possible for your generator to try to push power back out to the power transformer, which could have bad consequences.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Exactly! Mike

Reply to
amdx

Ya, I have part of my plan all figured out. My business is run from my house and I have the freezers on a seperate metered circuit so I can measure power use, ( for tax purposes). I can pull that meter to isolate it from the power company. It is my personal meter that just measures power for my freezers. But, if I ever decide I want to run the air conditioner in the house, I need a new plan. I see the transfer switch boxes from $99 at Amazon

over $300. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Thanks guys,

I ordered a Miller Bobcat 250 with a free cover. The total cost is $3,375 and Miller has a special running, they will rebate another $100 for buying this combination. I ordered it from,

say's $3,390 but they gave me their Ebay site price of $3,375. and a free cover.

This was slightly cheaper than the Honda and has 58% more capacity.

9500 watts continuous and 11,500 watts peak.

Instead of putting a cement pad in an inconvenient place near the house, I ordered a trailer, so I can store it covered and then easily move it close to my hookup in an emergency.

This was $204 with Tax and shipping. Harbor Freight must have a retail store in Fl. so I couldn't avoid the sales tax. I did save $237 of sales tax on the generator by ordering from out of the state.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

Good concept - and worst comes to town you can tow it elsewhere and bring it back.

Mart> Thanks guys,

Martin H. Eastburn

Someone on another group suggested that I as I assemble the trailer that I also undercoat it. I think that is a good idea, a $180 trailer from Harbor freight is not going to be high quality. I do think it will make the 100ft treck across my yard every few years though. I expect to park it and raise it enough to support it on blocks then take the tires off and put them up of the ground. Then reinstall them to move the trailer. Where is here? As in "We get Hurricanes here as well."

Mike

Reply to
amdx

"amdx" wrote in news:a7cd1$4c14b587$18ec6dd7$18376 @KNOLOGY.NET:

Scroll down to the Texas entries...

BTW, he's not the only one who may get the occasional Hurricane...and even a Tropical Storm can knock out power for days/weeks.

BTDT enough times to open a T-Shirt Shoppe!

Reply to
RAM³

Doesn't have to be tropical even - just a Monster Dust Devil!

Martin

Mart> "amdx" wrote in news:a7cd1$4c14b587$18ec6dd7$18376

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn