Victor cutting torches

I've been leaning towards buying a smaller Victor cutting torch. I have the bigger 351. The other day, I had to cut some smaller stuff, and toned it down to 4psi acet and 12psi O2, and got some decent cut lines.

Do I need a smaller torch for thin stuff, or will this one do? Plus, I angle the torch to an acute angle, like 10-15 degrees instead of 90, and it cuts pretty clean with just the O2 doing most of the removal of metal. Some slag removal, as with any cut.

Or, maybe it's just time for a plasma.

Yah, I'm sure that's it. Now to convince SWMBO..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I vote for plasma. I bought a plasma torch several years ago with plans to make a cnc plasma. Though I decided I didn't want to go the production route I still use the plasma torch a lot and one of the best things is that it cuts everything. And it makes great cuts. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Steve , did you mean the 315 ? If yours is bigger than that , it's a giant ! I have a 315/2460 cutting unit , about 20" OAL . I much prefer my Smith . it's a little over half that size . BTW , I'll make someone a REALLY good deal on this torch , I have an older one that was Dad's , doubt I'll ever use this unit .

Reply to
Snag

Have to go all the way out to the shop, but I'd say it is the equivalent of the "Journeyman" set. Not really huge, but the common larger sized.

I think a plasma is coming closer on the event horizon.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A plasma cutter is 'da bomb' but lotsa $$$$..

You might want to be sure you have the right size cutting tip in your OA torch for the thickness you're cutting. Too big and the cut looks like a dog chewed through it...

Carla

"The shooter will eventually run out of ammo" strategy may not be the best one for stopping deranged multiple murderers.

Reply to
Carla Fong

My uncle cuts sheetmetal with a "regular" size torch by taking off the cutting head and just using a largeish welding tip...works slick. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

I have two now, a power max 600 and a 1000, I just got the 1000 with a cnc setup I bought that I can hopefully get running smoothly , I think you responded to me on another forum

anyhow I love using my 600 for cutting, not sure how much of a pain it will be to take the 1000 off the cnc for hand cutting but if it is no big issue, I may sell the 600.

Reply to
none

wrote

For what I need, I need a small one. HyperTherm only. Anything bigger, and I'll use the acet torch. Yeah, I know, they cut sweet, but the bigger ones get more expensive by $1,000 for every size, and a bigger compressor. My work will be with small stuff. I don't do heavy any more.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

this powermax 1000 came with the hand torch as well as the machine torch

Reply to
none