weld warpage in aluminum vs. steel?

I am only just getting ready to weld aluminum. I'm pretty experienced at steel, but what I'm wondering is if aluminum plate (GMAW welded with argon shielding gas) warps more, less or about the same as steel plate? A guy wants me to make him up a simple weldment from 1/4" 6061 plate but it has a bunch of 90° angles in it I'd have to weld, and I don't want them to be way off. For steel I normally just fit the angle up about 2° shy of where I want it and let the weld pull it square, then I correct it with a BFH or hydraulic press if needed.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I always thought that aluminum was a greater problem but several articles say that is not the case. The temperature range from molten to room temperature is less for aluminum even though the coefficient of expansion is greater. In my personal experience I have been just as frustrated with aluminum as with steel. The amount of distortion is controlled a lot by size of welds and sequence of welding. If you bevel prep your tee joints you will not need as large a fillet weld and thereby reduce angular distortion. Randy

GWE

Reply to
R. Zimmerman