Welder/Generator Units

But the thread you was replying to was all about smaller welders.

Sounds likely. I know of a few diesel versions around here though many complain that they're to heavy.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Then they must weld at 1800 rpm instead of the lower rpms the older welders used. To make 60hz AC there's two viable choices. Run at 1800 or run at 3600 rpm.

I take that back. If they're using a inverter for the AC then they can run at any speed they want to.

As I stated in my earlier post. This area is generally a little backward especially when it comes to pipeline welders. New things are slow to take hold. Since I don't do pipeline welding myself I don't get to see what the other welders are using. When they do come by here I generally see some ancient SA200 mounted on the truck. I do know of one diesel machine here in town but I've never really looked at it.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

If you think a Ranger 250 is loud then you've probably got a problem. The one I ran was easily half as loud as my Bobcat.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

yup they put out DC, but they really aren't big welding machines either. Still mever seen or heard of a big engine drive that runs at 2 different speeds.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Wayne I was replying to the comment that " Almost all welder generators run at 3600 rpm when being used for aux power"

Less than 150 lbs, on a 10,000 lbs welding rig with a Classic II, almost dead even with a Classic 300.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Don't confuse main line pipeliners with oilfield welders, altho there can be considerable overlap in some areas of the country. As for RPM's you can't begin to guess what a pipeline welding machine is running at. Everyone tailors the arc to the characteristics they like and one of the main things they alter is RPM under load. Along with various assortment of brushes, rolling the rack, installing sliders, and having a voodoo mama shake a batch of magic swamp water on the hood. All in the quest for the arc they want, and the ability to stack. Of course if you want to use the machine to power the house, and I do when the power is out which happens a lot in my part of the world, you really should put a meter on it and set the RPM properly.

Reply to
JTMcC

I'll apologize if I hijacked the thread, but even after rereading the OP I didn't see him reference "small" in his question about Lincoln and Miller welder/generators. Of course, I miss things sometimes .

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I can see a distinction there but I guess I'm in a area where they overlap. There's one company here who's major work is running pipelines. But they also do any other oilfield welding or work that's needed. There's at least five others in town who I know travel to big jobs often and I guess you could call about half of them mainly pipeline welders. There's two more who I would definitely call more of a oilfield welders but I'm sure they've both worked on pipelines from time to time.

In truth I'm not sure just how many welders there are in town at the moment. There's plenty that's for sure and I can't think of any one of them that's got a Miller as there main welder. This is definitely Lincoln country when it comes to that type of welding.

I understand that which is why most of them I've seen have DC aux power. Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Well it started with them talking about Bobcats and other small welders. I didn't see any mention of big welders other than wishing for a diesel unit which pretty much is only in the bigger units (which are out of the price range in this case I believe).

Personally I feel that when you talk about welder/generators you're pretty much talking about the small units. The big welders are just that welders with aux power primarily being meant for running a grinder or the like. But then I freely admit that I've not looked at any of the new big welders. I've not got any need for them in my work and they're all well out of my price range. Not to mention that they take up to much space and weight on my truck which is already overloaded. I just wish I could justify a new Legend or the like but I don't do enough portable work to make it pay. About 99% or more of my welding is shop welding and may call of any of the common processes from MIG,TIG, to SMAW. As you may of noticed in my earlier post I feel there's more than enough welders to take care of the portable work and I focus on the other things that they don't want or are not setup to do. Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

What would be the purpose of two speeds?

To vary the aperage?

Maybe you want one or two of these.

I bought one and it works just as they say it does. Leroy

Reply to
Leroy Murphy

What would be the purpose of two speeds?

To vary the amperage?