welding 2"-1/4 square tube?

hi all!

i am starting a hobby project where i need to weld a lot of 2" 1/4wall square tubing. a lot of miter cuts etc.

can someone please suggest a good welder for this specific case? i have some tig & mig experienec but don't currently own a welder myself. i was looking at the miller maxstar tig and the millermatic.

any suggestions are welcome. thanks,

-p

Reply to
pixbroker

Pix,

I did a project like that but thinner walled and used my old trusty Red Buzz box. The Lincoln AC/DC stick welder. We paid $500 a few yrs ago. Now its at $367 or $369 cant rem. Anyway, it worked great..

BR.

Reply to
Blueraven

Lincoln SP175 Plus. A great machine for around $700. Gas bottle extra.

Do it once. Do it right.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Classic material for a 225 amp AC buzz box running 1/8" 6013 or 7014. New cost of $250, used cost from $100 and up. AC/DC version is nice runs $100 more new. This would be a quite unpopular choice with the purists on the group.

If you want to go with a MIG, you will need any of the 220 volt, 175 amp class machines. Plan on $700 or so. None of the 110 volt machines are up to the duty cycle and power for running 1/4" material.

Using a TIG machine in TIG mode is way too slow. But most TIG machines support stick welding.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

If you are welding quarter wall you can do just fine using an AC stick welding machine as long as it will put out a minimum of 150 amps. I would be using E 7014 or E 6013 It would be a lot cheaper than MIG unless you have your heart set on one. If you go for a TIG it would be much too slow unless it could run stick also. Most DC tig machines can run stick. This would allow you to stick weld thicker material and TIG your thin stuff. Remember DC TIG is steels only. I have a Millermatic 250 clone. If I was to do it again I would have botten a TIG with Stick capability. Randy

i am starting a hobby project where i need to weld a lot of 2" 1/4wall square tubing. a lot of miter cuts etc.

can someone please suggest a good welder for this specific case? i have some tig & mig experienec but don't currently own a welder myself. i was looking at the miller maxstar tig and the millermatic.

any suggestions are welcome. thanks,

-p

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Sorry, guys. I misread the numbers, and thought it was for welding 2 1/4" tubing.

doh, I hate it when I do that.

If it were me, I would use stick, and that being the stick preferred by the operator.

Lots of things will work.

But, again, if it was me, I would use either 3/32 7018, 6011, or 6010 depending on the final appearance I wanted. Some will give you nice looking welds without grinding. Some will require grinding and polishing.

As for the machine, a Lincoln buzz box will work. A Miller Thunderbolt will run the small rod. Or, get a bigger machine in anticipation of work with larger parameters. For this job, not a lot of need for overkill, but you would want to buy a machine that you could use later for other things.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

thank you all for your input. sounds like everybody reccomends a stick.

can you give suggestions on what exact welder you would reccomend?

thanks lot guys!

Reply to
pixbroker

The Lincoln "Tombstone" (named after the rectangular shape with clipped upper corners) is the benchmark in cheap but decent welders.

can be had for under $250 for a ready to go unit with basic accessories (rod holder, ground clamp, cheapie helmet, cables)

Better yet is the AC/DC versi> thank you all for your input. sounds like everybody reccomends a stick. >

Reply to
RoyJ

DEFINITELY get the ac/dc model.

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
bitternut

I got a flyer from Lowes today with a Lincoln 175 220v mig welder for $594 including a spool of fluxcore and an autodarkening helmet. This looks like a deal to me...

Reply to
Emmo

Don't mess with it unless it has the solenoid to weld with gas. You will regret it later. If that price includes the solenoid apparatus, it is a good price.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I checked the ad again. It not only has the capability for gas, but they also include the regulator and a spool of MIG wire as well! This is a good deal - it is less than I paid for my used Hobart 175...

Reply to
Emmo

I bought the SP175 Plus for about $700+, IIRC. I really like it, and it IS a Lincoln, meaning you can get it serviced easily if it ever needs it. Well, I can, as I live in a large city, and they have a service center. For that price, I think you found yourself a deal. Now, take the savings, and get a good autodark.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Comes with the auto-darkening helmet! But this is not for me, but for the original poster...

Reply to
Emmo

In that case, get an autodark for yourself.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB