Welding 6061-T6 weakens it?

Look at the issues surrounding some of the most popular online "news" forums, like the Drudge Report, Huffington Post, and Daily Beast. They have less than a handfull of real reporters- they make money by aggregating news from other sources and funneling readers past advertising to get to it. Often, they have "forgotten" to post who actually filed the original report, and failed to provide a link to it.

They've gotten a little better about avoiding blatant plagiarism since they've all been sued multiple times since their inception, but they are still in business. It costs a lot to bring a suit against a plagiarist, then the court battles go on for years.

That's why, in my original posting, I copied the entire article (including original authorship info) and posted it. I'm not sure posting a link to the page would have worked, since you need a paid membership, username and password to log in.

In retrospect, I prolly shouldn't have posted it at all. I'm sure someone will view it as a violation of the membership agreement or something.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Agreed. Posting a URL is copyright safe.

If it's publicly web-accessible, it's been published as far as copyright law is concerned. So, yes, they presumably want it seen.

Yeah, that's not the question. The question is whether you can republish material copyrighted by someone else. The general answer is no. Exceptions include (1) when you have explicit permission, and (2) excerpts can be published under the fair-use clause. For more info see:

Dave Sill

Copying the entire article--even with attribution--and republishing it in another medium is, strictly, against the copyright law. Since this is Usenet, and you're not profitting from this act nor depriving profits from the copyright holder, the chances of them caring enough to take legal action are slim.

To be safe, in the future, I'd recommend posting a URL and a couple of short exerpts that give the gist of the article.

Nobody here is complaining, we're just trying to make people aware of the issues so they can protect themselves.

Reply to
Dave Sill

Ok, even I can understand that. What happens if I post a URL that lies within a site requiring a paid membership to view the web page? Unless the people I am posting to also have a membership, they cannot view that page, can they?

It seems I would have to rewrite the article in my own words and post a bibliography with it in order to actually give any useful information to other people.

I really hope Google can go forward with their plans for books-- It may force the U.S. and other countries to update their copyright laws.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Correct.

Even that might not be sufficient. If the site requires membership, you may have agreed to term of service that are even stricter than copyright, so even fair use may not apply. They could, conceivably, prohibit any disclosure of their information even if you express it in your words.

Reply to
Dave Sill

That's what I would be afraid of. It's a money maker for the organization, while severely curtailing access to helpful information.

Reply to
TinLizziedl