Welding Flux?

Before my neighbor passed away he gave me all of his tools, including the welding equipment. He was a machinist for Smith's Welding Equipment for 38 years so we're talking lots of nice stuff, including several prototypes. Some of which never went into production.

Among the boxes I found two old looking glass jars of of "Welding flux" Superior #8 and #9. This is the first I've heard of using flux for welding.

The #8 reads; For gas welding of Nickel - Chrome - Iron and Inconel Alloys

The #9 reads; For Inert Gas, Metallic Arc or Gas Welding of High Chromium Ferrous Alloys and Stainless Steel.

When would you use this stuff?

Would 4130 be considered a "High Chromium Ferrous Alloy"?

Can this be soaked off with hot water, like brass flux, or will it require mechanical removal?

I TIG weld bicycles using thin wall 4130 tubing and was wondering if either of these could be painted on the inside of the tubes in lieu of an argon purge.

Reply to
mark
4130 is considered a low alloy steel. It has about 1 percent chrome and a quarter percent moly.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster