welding hood with forcer air ?

would this be a good idea?
using a regular welding hood, and low presure, medium volume regulated compressed shop air.
I am thinking a thin flexible tube attached (velcro) to a welding hood to a small plastic box with a bunch of holes, supplying fresh air under the welding hood.
my only concern is the compressed air coming from a shop compressor, is it safe ? the compressor is located out side the shop , so it gets fresh air.
any thoughts

NO!
That's not the problem. The impurities introduced into the air by the compressor are very hazardous to your health. SCUBA compressors (which put out safe, breathable air) are subject to very specific specifications and standards that are beyond what a 'shop compressor' is capable of.
You could use a SCUBA tank or 'ducted fan' as the (healthy) air source.
Larry www.WeldingFaq.com 'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

If you just want a breeze, a small computer cooling fan can be used, but you still breath welding fumes. I use a 6 inch one with a lathe to suck coolant smoke away from the work so i can see it, and duct it outside thru a clothes dryer vent tube. With sandblaster hoods (and anything you will breath) the air supply is supposed to come from an oil-less compressor. There are 8 of them on ebay now, under $100.
--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Allegro makes a filtration system that you can connect to your compressor that renders the air safe.
HTH
Paul Calman wrote:

--
s/v Mutiny