Welding rod

Hello all,

I am shortening the mast on a walk behind forklift. I have cut the metal to size and now need to weld the pieces back together. The steel is basically H-Bean and is about 1/2" thick.

Which welding rod and size would be the best to use on this and approximate amperage setting to start. I have a 200 Amp AC/DC arc welder.

Thank you Tom

Reply to
Thomas Csibor

V-groove your joints.

1/8" 7018 running between 120 and 130 amps. DC Electrode Positive.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie,

I will go and get some 7018 tomorrow and give it a go. I appreciate the help.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Csibor

It is a good idea to get any moisture out of those rods before using them....especially on something as critical as a mast...put them in the oven at 350 degrees for a few hours (most procedures actuallly call for a minimim

12 hours). The low hydrogen coating is susceptible to moisture.. buy the E7018 H4R if you can....the H4R stands for moisture resistance.

Doobie

Reply to
Doobie

quick question: though have not seen in print otherwise, when you put 'em in the 350° oven for an hour or so does it have to be an electric one? blue flame from propane/gas have residual H² to ineffectualize the bake?? thnx,

Reply to
dogalone

The backing of electrodes should be done in an electric oven from what I remember, now to actually find the reference could take a few minutes.

just for fun I checked the CSA W59, which is similar to the AWS codes for electrode use and rebaking.

Basic electrodes shall be stored at a temperature of at least 120C.

Immediately after opening hermetically sealed container condition electrodes for a minimum of 1 hour between 370C and 430C. This also applies to reconditioning the electrodes after removal from the storage oven for 4 hours. This is to be done in a drying oven designed for electrodes.

I thought the rebake time was longer for 7018 electrodes was longer but this was the only reference I had on hand.

With the temperature range mentioned above I imagine it would be easiest to use an electric oven, the vapours from gas combustion could prove troublesome. This is something that would make an interesting experiment. Too bad I don't have access to the school labs anymore.

I think I will pass this along to the college, the head instructor is always looking for experiments that the class can carry out.

John

Reply to
John Noon

Here is link that gives correct welding rod storage and drying tempratures and times.

R. Duncan

Well, got the job done with the rod and settings suggested - thank you. Another thing I learned doing this project. Out of position welding is still not fun :-))

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Csibor