What is difference between Lincoln's Invertec TIG and their regular TIG

I am new to TIG welders and have a question. I was looking at this vendor page

and don't see the difference between a Lincoln Invertec TIG and the regular TIG such as the model 225.

I notice that the descriptions of the Invertec's call the them a "power source" for TIG welding but the 225's description calls it a welder.

Thanks in advance,

Jim R.

Reply to
jridenou_2000

What you are dealing with is the basic difference between Inverter based power supplies, and Transformer based power supplies.

Transformers are big, heavy, and relatively simple machines inside, but they don't have the ability to really play with the electrical characteristics of the welding arc when compared to Inverters.

Inverters are small, portable, really efficient, incredibly complicated inside, and can do things transformers can't, like adjust the AC output frequency when welding aluminum.

Transformers are stuck with the 60 hz that the wall power power supplies, but Inverters can adjust the frequency between 20 hz and 500 hz. This change in frequency has a profound effect on the quality of the AC arc on aluminum.

For DC TIG the arc is not very different, although inverters are more likely to have pulsers/slopers/sequencers for better arc control on thin material or production welds.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

So then an Invertec can do all the welding a regular TIG, like the

225, can do and more. Right?

Jim R.

Reply to
jridenou_2000

Reply to
RoyJ

--Actually Ernie showed me that you can do some aluminum welding with DC. There are limitations but it can be done.

Reply to
steamer