What is the easiest and best way to measure stair railing?

I have measured a couple of stair railings but never had to build one, (I don't think they liked my price! My theory was if I could create a triangle by measuring across and down, I could snap it out with a chalk line and build it. I would apreciate any advise you guys have. Don C.

Reply to
hoistin

There's a cheap device I use called an angle finder. Basically, it's a protractor with a spinning dial in it and the dial is weighted. You can put it on any straight edge or string or angle and find out what the angle is. I like them on stairs, as it gives you an exact reading that can be transposed to a bevel square, and the verticals always come up looking straight. If you're just doing setup or preliminary work, just set up your intended work with string, and the angle finder will tell you what the angle is. From there, you can get your rise and run to come out with proportionate steps.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
Steve B