defribulator/pacemaker

Doc said he gonna implant a defribulator and is concerned about me welding afterward.Anyone have any experience with defribulator/pacemaker problems from welding?

Reply to
digitalmaster

Shouldn't be any problem. The only moderate risk is from the high frequency used for TIG, but even that only goes through your skin and not your heart.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I don't have any idea about the defib device but when my Dad had a pacemaker put in about 3 years ago the literature said to stay 3 feet away from welding equipment. The manufacturer would be the one with the answer.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Good luck to you. I go tomorrow for preadmit on a Wednesday angioplasty for a couple of occluded vessels 5 years post op coronary bypass graft and aortic valve replacement.

My sister was on a defib, and is now the first woman in the United States on a left ventricular assist.

It's always something, ain't it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Greetings all,

Not to make light of the situation, I certainly hope you are able to resolve your health issues, but my mp3 player does not like HF Tig at all. I wear it on a lanyard around my neck, that puts it at mid-chest level. Only took a few minutes for the HF to "zap" it, fortunately it only knocked it for a loop, was able to reboot it up fine. Could be that any other electronic equipment would be similarly effected. I just turned the HF off(was only using it for starts on SS) don't think you would have that option.

Best of luck, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Try wearing your mp3 player on your back when tigging. It probably won't be affected.

I wonder how some sort of metallic chest shield would work for implanted defibrillators? Surely, the mfg. site or someone there would have an answer.

I was thinking of a welding vest lined with stainless foil. I used to use an old magnetic drill.The drill had a sliding stainless plate.When you pull the plate out the magnet would hold the drill.To release the drill you pushed the plate between the magnet and whatever you had the drill on.I guess the stainless stopped the magnetic field from reaching the regular steel. Does anyone know if stainless will block magnetic fields? they are telling me they are worried about the magnetic fields generated more than accidental electrocution.

Reply to
digitalmaster

found something

digitalmaster