why is Jackson's NexGen worth... 6X... HF's best helmet ?

I'm implying nothing,... merely requesting information, i.e. tryin' to gather information to make an intelligent buying decision.

Appreciatively, Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

I once shopped for a motorcycle helmet and asked why I should pay XXX dollars for one helmet vs. X dollars for another. I was told, "It just depends on what your head is worth!" Perhaps, "It just depends on what your eyesight is worth!" :-)

Seriously, I got HF's and it seems to work very well.

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

features, quality and parts availability. you have to justify spending $200+ for a helmet, I've seen here and elsewhere that many people are satisfied with their HF brand.... wether it is true or just don't want to admit that they made a mistake ......and wether it is being used dayly or not. also seen people that has returned the HF brand and got better ones.

When I ogt mine, (miller/hobart) helmet , I simply choose it because it was locally available , features, there was plenty to choose from, and parts are also availble at any welding store I go.

The features also sold me the helmet. external adjustment , shade 9-12 light sensetivity adjust when you work out side in a sunny day. delay timer, good for TIG low battry warning L.E.D battery and solar power multiple (arc/ light )sensors push button ON and auto OFF room for nose and eyeglasses. magnifier holder inside the helmet.

1/20000 second response time. good coverage for neck protection.

now...this statement is not always true...... but usually if it is cost more it is better !!!

I would think Miller...a welding equipment manufacturing company does some research and development before they put out a product. regardless where it is made.

as fa as HF ....god know where it came from ..... i do not want to risk injury to my eyes, on the other hand , if I need a 50 ft roll of sand paper or a set of metal punches or an air horn for my lawmover :-) I look at the HF website.

this is just my humble oppinion.

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Quality, warantee, reliability. function.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Because it is US made? I don't know. I have a Jackson Nexgen and a Harbor Freight Chameleon (made in Korea). I find the HF headgear to be more comfortable, the lens easier to see through (ie. lighter when not darkened), and the lens protector to have less distortion. The Nexgen has a slightly larger viewing area, but only slightly.

Reply to
AL

Cheap ain't good. Good ain't cheap.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You didn't mention what type of welder or welding you plan on using it for. This can matter. I have a Dynasty 300 Miller tig welder. This is an inverter type machine. Some helmets will mistake the DC mode as being off during the weld due to the smoothness of the arc. Some cheaper helmets sense the light level changes as an indication that you are welding. With the inverter type machine the arc light level does not change much fooling some helmets. This was a real problem for me when I first got my Dynasty. The auto lens kept going open in the middle of a weld. Hard on the eyes! The NexGen corrected the problem and has work great for the last two years.

Eric D

Reply to
Eric D

Eric,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

The machine I'll mostly be using, in addition to an oxy/acet torch, is a Miller Shopmaster 300 AC/DC which is older [not inverter to my knowledge] and does TIG, MIG & Stick welding.

Given the above, what are your thoughts on the recommended prudent choice, considering price and safety ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney

Eric D wrote:

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

I've used a number of other welders with cheaper helmets with no real problem. As mentioned before, the inverter units are the only type of welder that I have ran into problems with the helmet getting confused. Most if not all auto helments have uv protection even if the lens opens to the lighter setting. Whatever helmet you purchase I would make sure it has at least this protection. Hard to get a second chance on your eyes.

Eric D

Reply to
Eric D

It don't....help Garry

Reply to
Garry

I bet that Hobart does not make there own helmet. I would also bet that there are not that many companies that specialize in making welding helmets. I would even venture to say that the parts might have come from the same sources. I have the HF helmet and for the 30 minutes of mig welding I do a week I like it just fine, I even splurged and bought the one with adjusted shade control.

Reply to
Mickey