WIDRTFM

I wrote in and asked about welding with .025 wire. I was having some problems.

Today, I put on my contacts and cheaters, and tried it again. But this time, I looked at the chart for this wire. I found out that I was way off on the settings. At the suggested settings, it ran great.

On the .030, the two setting knobs usually align, both being set at about the same setting, as if you were looking at a clock dial. They both point in the same direction. But on the .025, they don't.

One can learn a lot by reading the directions. I have my welder on a wire mesh wagon type carrier with the bottle. I use a pull strap to keep it from falling off during transit, and I am reluctant to take it all loose to look at the chart located within. Why are men so reluctant to look at or ask directions?

Between having it on the right settings, and using my contacts and cheaters, I had a good day of welding on my new ornamental fence and gate. It's looking pretty darn good. I'll post some pics in the dropbox when done.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

There ya go. I was recently welding with a smaller Lincoln MIG and also had issues with the very free-turning dials. I swear, they were changing in the wind. Although I was welding on a house using a welding blanket, so it was probably the fabric rubbing. Still, oughta be tighter.

Once set, welded like a dream. A good one. :-)

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Sometimes those felt washers will fit under the knobs, allowing them to turn, but with more resistance. I know what you mean about them wandering. They are right there on the front panel, and it is easy for them go get brushed.

BTW - WIDRTFM = when in doubt, read the f'ing manual

Steve

Reply to
Steve B