Wow!

I have been playing with this thing some more, and I think I may be ready to
buy some sheet and plate to start on my first project a lot quicker than I
originally planned. I've been welding a variety of junk for simple corner,
and t joints and once you set the machine up right for each size stock it
actually does a pretty darn good job. I still need a lot more practice with
stock at the lower limit, but still... wow. this is a lot easier than I was
lead to believe. I'm no expert or anything, probably never will be, but I'm
betting I can setup and do basic jobs pretty quick.
After my results last night with the thin wall stuff I was really
disappointed with my results on thicker materials when I first started
playing today. Then I realized I was reading the chart for steel.
I had a problem for a while with using the Miller chart exactly for material
thickness, but when I dropped power one setting and increased wire speed a
little above what the chart says I got some pretty darn good looking welds.
Is that normal? To have to fine tune and find what works best for each
machine?
I'm still getting a bit of sooty residue, which if I recall means I've got
the gun angle wrong, but when I cut the welds apart on the saw I don't see
any voids or seems in the material. I still have to move a lot faster than
I am used to or I'll sag through, but dang. My best looking welds were on
3/16 or larger. I made T and corner joints with it, and I even filled in
drilled holes upto about 3/16. I get a little cratering on that, but not
enough that it cracks. I've got an idea though that if I fill them in two
passes I'll not have that problem at all. It is going to take some practice
to get gun speed just right, and keep my distance just right, but I think if
I do a practice run or two before tackling each new project or material
thickness for a while I'll be alright.
I suspect setup is going to be a trick when I start welding different size
sheet and plate together, but I figured I'ld just start with my adjusted
settings for the thinner material and go from there.
I've been using up my spool of .030 4043 for all this practice. Now is when
you guys will tell me that my all my hard won lessons go right out the
window when I switch to 5000 alloys for the marine stuff right?
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Now to go get some more stainless brushes. I have plane wore two of the little tooth brush size completely out on the light stuff.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
P.S. This is kinda fun. I know you guys that have been welding aluminum for years are probably sitting back snickering, but seriously, I've let myself be scared off by people telling me how hard it is for way to many years. So far this doesn't seem all that hard at all. Just need practice and experience for setup and control.
I may come back out in the shop after dinner and take another go at that thin wall tubing as long as I am at it. I think if I increased wire speed just a little and setup with a little more room to swing the gun I could better results. Maybe take a couple power off practice passes so I can do it real smooth as I circle my work.
Reply to
Bob La Londe